mollyripkim

Pekin under the weather, happy update

Have a little Pekin, got her as an adult in April 2013 so 4 years old minimum, maybe older. Last winter I thought I was going to lose her as when the weather gets cold she sits hunched up in the run. Same again this year, looking really miserable when its cold but perks up as soon as its warmer. I let them out this morning and she found a patch of sun to warm up. Her wattles are nice and red, she eats well, no lice, worming up to date so wondered if anyone has any suggestions. The only other thing is that she is bottom of the pecking order but there are multiple food/water stations and she gets her fair share of corn in the evenings.

I just hate seeing her so miserable and wondered if anyone else has this problem or suggestions?

Edited by Guest

Thank you luvachicken, nice of you to ask. To be honest I am quite worried about her, she still has times when she is bright but today it's been really cold and she was huddled up. At the weekend we put tarps around part of the run to give them shelter from the wind, it's nice and dry though and I've been putting some tonic in their water. I'm hoping that like last year she will perk up in the warmer weather.

Yes it was cold yesterday and again today.

We also have left over clear tarp around the run bottom and I really love to take it off when it's warmer so I can see the girls more clearly, but it does act as a good wind break.

Hopefully the tonic will perk her up soon and some warmer, less windy, weather will come our way.

If she's eating OK then that's a good sign. If she isn't and doesn't perk up at any time you may have to take her to the vet. We lost our Sadie at 5 years but she was laying softies. Then the following year we lost Mini - she wasn't eating and I couldn't do anything to encourage her. Sadly the vet found a large internal growth so the best thing was to let her go. We still have Skye who will be 8 soon. I took all my birds to the vet as 2 had wheezy problems so it seemed a good time to get them all checked. Skye is fine (vet said they were in good shape for old girls) and I just need to make sure that they have extra tonic. All have been baytrilled even though 2 girlies were given the all clear. Skye is also at the bottom of the pecking order now and will also droop a bit when it's cold - but then so do the others. I'm inclined to agree with them - yuk more grey sky and cold days! They've all found a nice patch of dry soil and been bathing today. Then again the robins have been puffing up and sulking too! :lol:

Thanks Valkyrie, I keep debating on taking her to the vet, took her last year and they couldn't find anything wrong and she was back to her normal self once the weather warmed up.

She is eating and drinking fine and is a good weight, in fact yesterday it was sunny for a while and she was out scratching about as normal but then as it got colder she went back into the run and sat in a patch of sun but looking unhappy.

Interesting that Skye droops in the cold as well, I guess it must be old age catching up, her comb is nice and red but I don't think she is laying.

Skye isn't interested in the nest box either, but I'm happy for her not to. She was laying last year and she did quite well once she did start. She also nice red head gear. Sat in the garden with my daughter this afternoon and we were watching the little birdie strutting her stuff with a very big puffed up tail - or as I say - bustle!!!