Jillus

Advice on best duck breed

Hi, it's been ages since I was on this forum, after Mr Fox ate my last lot of girls and the Sparrowhawk decimated my white fantail doves I decided that maybe feathery friends were not for me. I still have one dove left, we call him Only The Lonely and he has been alone for over two years. Every time I buy new grain I say I expect this will see him out and it doesn't!!

I got a dog, a Labradoodle who now works as a Therapy Dog and I now have three grandchildren. And I rather fancy having a couple of ducks!!

I'm looking for possibly white ducks like Jemima Puddelduck but the main criterion is that they cannot be too noisy!

Does anyone have any advice. I have a wonderful hen house, a large enclosed run and we live by a babbling brook, well normally it's babbling, currently it's a bit full. Looking forward to getting some help. I think I've been on this forum for years and it usually comes up trumps.

I am sorry - I'm not sure if many of us keep ducks. I'm afraid I don't keep them, but the only thing I know is that call ducks (small and oh so sweet looking) are very noisy, so they are probably not for you :D You could try looking on Practical Poultry forum - it has a waterfowl bit :D

Sorry just seen this as well. I have three call ducks which are small, pretty, friendly and fit the criteria of white with yellow bills, however they are incredibly noisy, particularly in spring. My two females have been driving us mad as they call so loudly every time they see us, we even had to resort to keeping the kitchen blind down. However now the weather is warmer they have started mating and laying eggs and hardly make any noise at all.

The other thing is that we found they were noisiest in their first year.