WitchHazel

Stopping a new old dog from peeing in the house

Hello fellow Omleteers

My eldery parents have taken on a new-to-them dog from a local rescue place, as a companion to their existing dog. The poor girl is an ex breeding machine, so she hasn't been house trained.

They are doing the right things (mostly), but the poor little girl doesn't understand that when the paper is moved, she should move with it. She pees on the same place, where the paper was.

I know that it's possible to get sprays to discourage dogs from weeing in certain places, but there is such an array of them, I don't know which to choose.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations please?

We've got a puppy at the moment so are going through toilet training... slow progress!

We have been using Simple Solution for dogs

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/simple-solution-stain-and-odour-remover-for-dogs

It may help her to stop peeing in the same place as it will remove the odour.

It will take a while for her though I should think if she's been a breeding dog, poor girl :(

How lovely that they've given given her the chance of a new start.

Best of luck :D

I think its wonderful your parents are giving her a happy home :D

I wonder if doing the same as you would for a puppy, ie take her outside every 20 mins or so, and give her a command ( 'do wee's' is ours, which our breeder started) and as soon as she starts to do a wee praise her say say the command word and give a high value treat. She will learn, and probably fairly quickly. Whatever they do, and I am sure they know this, do not even comment about the accidents in the house. Ignore the bad, praise the good. I wonder if the rescue place have any advice for them as well, as I am sure they would have experienced this with other ex breding dogs?

I wish them all the best with this :D

Thanks for that link Groovy.

Bluekarin They are taking her out every couple of hours, and doing the prasie/reward thing when she wees or poos outside. They do tell her off though when she pees in the house... so I can help them, what's the reason one should ignore/not comment on accidents please?

I believe its because any attention is attention, no matter if for a good reason or a bad one. Its why dogs will still wag their tails at owners who beat them ☹️ If they ignore the accidents but she gets super praised for doing wees where they want her to, she will eventually (hopefully) stop doing them inside, and will want to do them outside as she gets treats :D I think letting her out every few hours is a bit too long, especially at the beginning of her training.

It's so important to praise the good behaviour and ignore the mistakes.

They could try clicker training- we're doing that with our pup. When she does something good, you click immediately after the desired behaviour has happened and like bluekarin said, reward her with a high value treat.

It will take some time because she's obviously had a life of toileting in her pen. She won't understand why she's being told off.

Lots of patience and understanding and she'll get there slowly :)

I believe its because any attention is attention, no matter if for a good reason or a bad one. Its why dogs will still wag their tails at owners who beat them ☹️ If they ignore the accidents but she gets super praised for doing wees where they want her to, she will eventually (hopefully) stop doing them inside, and will want to do them outside as she gets treats :D I think letting her out every few hours is a bit too long, especially at the beginning of her training.

That's so sad about the tail wagging :(

We've been advised by our vet and puppy trainer that taking our boy out at least once an hour and immediately after eating and waking up (even after a nap) will encourage him to toilet outside.

Thanks bluekarin. SInce reading your original post I found some info on the Blue Cross website as well.

I've sent the info to my parents - including mentioning that telling her off is not the right thing to be doing - and I'm sure they'll adapt.

Groovychook, funnily enough I did think about clicker training, as I have some clickers. However, my parents wouldn't be able to get the hang of it. They'd understand the idea, but it would take them too long to do the click for the association to work. :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone, I really hope this works out. She's a sweet little thing, she's now happy to come for a fuss but still can't bear to be picked up. It's early days though.

Groovychook, funnily enough I did think about clicker training, as I have some clickers. However, my parents wouldn't be able to get the hang of it. They'd understand the idea, but it would take them too long to do the click for the association to work. :lol:

Oh bless them. I have to admit that I struggle at times to click quickly enough... I'd make a rubbish cowboy :lol:

OH just had a thought... It would probably help her to learn if your parents took their other dog out at the same time. If she see's the other dog performing in the appropriate place, it might help her to get the hang of things :wink:

Thank you - they've been doing that.

On a side-but-vaguely-related note, when I looked into this for my parents, I found UV torches for sale which you can use (in the dark, obvs) to show up urine and other such stains. We have an epileptic cat, who loses bladder control when she has a fit. I disinfect with Dettol spray each time, and its amazing how far the urine travels.

My torch and a bottle of "Simple SOlution" for cat urine arrived today. I suspect tonight might be a bit of an eye opener.

Ooh, I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the torch.

Let us know how you get on!

Well, it was very interesting,

The floor was remarkably clean, I couldn't find any spots at all where she normally has fits and at first I though the torch wasn't working. On reflection, it's not surprising, as I clean a large area when she has a fit, and I do several cleans.

I did find some on a skirting board, and the pattern suggests it probably is cat pee.

I then went round the rest of the kitchen in the dark, armed with a clean cloth and a bottle of Dettol spray, and found lots of other bits (that weren't likely to be cat pee, but still showed up only under the ultra violet) on cupboard doors. The hall was next, floor was fine, but I found stuff by the floor level window which I guess must be cat nose.

I can see that this is going to form a regular part of my cleaning routine from now on.