CatieB

Locksmith / UPVC lock repairs

Oh wise omleteers - sure someone must have an answer.

It appears locksmiths all operate old style business practices whereby you have to pay a (large) call out fee. I can understand that if you need an emergency replacement lock or are locked out. Im not.

My oldish UPVC doors need looking at as the locks are becoming more problematic, one will only shut if you lock it and the other you can shut but not lock! Im also unsure whether the actual locks need upgrading for not being modern enough to comply with home insurance requirements- certainly our patio door has old style locks and may need extra.

So I just want an expert to come and look and give me a quote - you need to do this this and this. Seems simple and if they can do it they get the job. Ive googled locksmiths and they want the call out fees. Any suggestions??

Thanks

upvc locks don't technically conform to insurance specs

it's also not always possible to 'up grade' them as there not all the same sizes and back sets/centers

the barrels the part that you put the key in is removable on all upvc composite and aluminium doors you can't fit the lock bodies with the barrels in place but you do need the door open and a usable key as the key has to turn about a quarter turn to move the barrel lever into the barrel body to extract the barrel plus there's a screw that holds the barrel in place on the edge of the door normally between the latch and the dead bolt on the lock body once those two tasks have been performed them the barrel should come out. on some newer doors the handle set have to come off to access a plate that forms another level of security you'll need to take the barrel out to find out which one it is as there are different lengths both over all and offsets (distance from the center to the key hole) on upvc doors most use an off set barrel about 90-100 mm over all then about 40mm/60mm or 40/50 for each side of the barrel to allow for the fact that the lock body is off set in the frame avaid the sheds and go to a trade counter for the barrels they'll have a better range

the first one not latching sounds like the door needs a bit of adjustment that's a common fault the other other one it's one of 2 or 3 faults the 1st it as above the door needs adjusting as it's dropped a bit or the keep needs adjusting or the door hinges need adjusting to pull the door in a bit the 2nd with the door open can you lock the door i.e. dose the dead lock work if not then the lock is busted and needs replacing it's not hard to change them but you need to find a stockiest locally as you'll need to take the whole of the locking set up to get the right one most don't have names on them some no longer exist under the same name

Thank you. I will try double glazing firms.

Its definitely not something we want to do ourselves - far too complicated for us :lol: I know that its the frame side of things that is the issue for the one that won't latch as the metal part it would latch into is loose / broken.

I think the locksmith trade around here is a bit dodgy. Lots of companies with very similar names. I emailed one and got an email back from another :shock: ??? Others I have emailed haven't replied. Makes me wonder if they are all the same.

Thank you. I will try double glazing firms.

Its definitely not something we want to do ourselves - far too complicated for us :lol: I know that its the frame side of things that is the issue for the one that won't latch as the metal part it would latch into is loose / broken.

I think the locksmith trade around here is a bit dodgy. Lots of companies with very similar names. I emailed one and got an email back from another :shock: ??? Others I have emailed haven't replied. Makes me wonder if they are all the same.

it's always best to use a upvc company for upvc doors or at least someone that's got experience servicing upvc windows and doors not all fitters can service them the company I worked for before I got made redundant you had to do everything we were the service and snagging crew

it's not a complicated task best part of servicing modern doors and windows is trail and error but it's fiddly the hard part is if the locks jam/brake when the door or window is locked took me an hour to open a window last week with a busted lock and about 3 minutes to replace the lock

Mine were sticking and my joiner who used to work with UPVC firm told me to buy silicone spray and use that - it has helped and I could lock the patio door easier and he told me to use it on all the window hinges etc too.

I THINK THIS IS A VERY VERY OLD POST AND I HAD NOT SEEN THE DATES

Edited by Blackrocksrock
  • Haha 1

Locksmith mill hill prices seems to be decent, I've change a lock on my patio door, its an UPVC and it took me nearly 50£ so I think the price is good, regarding silicon spray, well to be honest it's much better than using WD-40 but it does not prevent you from a broken lock or a stuck key in the lock. You have to spray the locks for a better work but it does not mean you won't have to change a lock in a couple of time

On 5/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, CaylinBr said:

Locksmith Hill prices seems to be decent, I've change a lock on my patio door, its an UPVC and it took me nearly 50£ so I think the price is good, regarding silicon spray, well to be honest it's much better than using WD-40 but it does not prevent you from a broken lock or a stuck key in the lock. You have to spray the locks for a better work but it does not mean you won't have to change a lock in a couple of time

To be honest I've used WD-40 for a long time and I have not seen even an issue using it, but I haven't try the silicon spray.