Natz678

Jemima is a boy

Hi,

I bought two female ducks in June, they are 18 weeks now, it turns out Jemima is a boy. The seller has become rude and uninterested, she has advised they will be fine to keep as a pair and I can't return the boy, I've read online that this ratio is unsafe. Any help please?

I'm feeling stressed out and sad that it's likely I'll need to rehome

I don't have a lot of experience of ducks but I had a pair of black east indian ducks. They were fine as a pair but my male wasn't particularly amorous. If yours turns out to be more so he might wear out the female. My female was recently taken by a fox so I now have a female call duck to keep him company so we will see how he is with her. If necessary would you have space for more female ducks? I think the breeder should offer to exchange or refund if you bought them sexed.

If you bought them sexed then I would definitely go back to the breeder and request an exchange for a female. If you bought unsexed ducklings then unfortunately you don't have much to go back on.

I was gifted two ducks for my 18th birthday, sold to my friends as females. Within a few weeks it became obvious that they were a pair but we decided to keep them. Jemima became Gerald and lived for 6 and a half years; he sadly died a few weeks ago.

They were fine in a pair, if a little randy but at peak breeding season Gerald could be aggressive towards people. They bred and hatched Orville, a gorgeous little duckling :D