Egzandra

Church bellringing

It sounds as if you are learning the hand bells if you are using more than one at a time! They do have hand bells where I am but the bells I am learning to ring are the ones in the church tower. Luckily there is a simulator attached to one of them, which is why I can practice without annoying the people in the village! It's taking ages to get the technique. I expect we'll get there eventually.

No, church bells. There are 6 in the church tower. I can now ring the bell on my own, but have just started trying to follow the first bell, let alone be in time with the other 5. Goodness knows how long it will take me to be able to ring at weddings etc! Can't even get the bell to stand! :lol: It's quite funny when my friend has stopped her bell and I'm still going.

It is not as easy as it looks is it - when you see the ringers who have been ringing for some time they make it look effortless! I am not ringing with a group at this stage, although if I go along to the practice they will let me have a little go. Someone else has to put the bell up into ringing position for me though as I haven't managed it yet! I can actually get the bell to stand if all is going well but not necessarily when they want me to! It sounds as if, like me you have someone to give you one-to-one. Are you using the SmARTringer system?

I just went along with a friend who has been ringing for 3 years. There were 6 ringers, but 3 (all part of the same family) moved away, so now the church is short on ringers. I started along with another girl from the village so we have been learning together. We meet on a Monday evening for about an hour. I have been ringing on my own with someone stood in front of me for when I get in a pickle. I'm sure those bells have a mind of their own! The last couple of weeks though I have been trying to follow my friend. She starts and I follow with not much success. I still can't work out how to slow down or speed up. Haven't heard of the smart ringer system. I will look it up. I think it's a bit like learning to drive. One week you think you're doing really well, the next week it's as if you've never done it.