sjp

first egg

finally at 2.54 this afternoon the first of this years pullets has started to lay !eggcream! ! the smallest girl of the six she's been restless and gobby for a couple of hours in that I want to find a nest sort of way

she ended up laying by the back gate as I watched 1 down five to go :dance:

Only one day different to my Margot!

most admit I was a bit :mrgreen: yesterday yes pun intended :lol:

it was a very nice surprise when I let them out to FR dinner time and I saw how she was acting

I'm hoping to get at least one darker green egg layer from the other 5 and a darker shade of mid brown would be nice I've got more than enough shades of cream and dark brown/speckled layers

I'm up to 4 in 7 days all from the same pullet I think

I find with my CLB crosses I get more !eggcream! than !egggreen! plus the odd !eggblue! I've assumed this is because the brown gene is more dominate then the blue gene. green resulting from a film of brown pigment over a blue eggshell can't figure out why it's cream that turns up more than a mid brown through

Another slightly bigger !eggcream! today! I suspect these 'rogue' eggs are Betty's - am hoping that Bob (yes, she's a she, but Bob is short for 'Bobble-head Bob' which describes her perfectly - she has a hairdo like a Poland!) will lay a nice !egggreen! when she gets round to it since we lost our beautiful !egggreen! layer to a badger in the summer :(

Another first egg this weekend - from one of our Scots Dumpy bantams - it's very small and very !eggcream!:dance: And our one remaining ex batt has come back into lay. So after a summer of virtually no eggs with everyone either broody or too old (or so I thought), now we have 3 layers - this might be the first winter with eggs since I refuse to buy any!

I've got 2 hens back in lay and I think 2 of the pullets are laying the difference between pullet eggs is a bit to much to be from one girl

I didn't expect the hens to start till after Christmas the pullets I half hoped would start but never expected them to start for another week or two. the first to start to lay is actually one of the younger ones she was about 23-24 weeks old when she layed

looks like 3 of the pullets are laying just found a creamish coloured egg in there with all of this weeks eggs next to each other 2 are from on girl probably the first to start laying as their a bit bigger than the other 2 and a slightly different shape yesterdays is I think a first or 2nd egg, today's is a bit big to be a first egg so I think that girl must have laid a couple last week and is more than likely responsible for the poor quality one from last weekend

most eggs I've had in early December for a couple or 3 years 7 eggs in 4 days

the pullet I was hoping was a green egg layer finally laid her first egg today and it's green sadly not as dark as I was hoping for but ha ho but I've got a dark brown layer with is a nice surprise. I just need all six to lay on the same day so I can figure out how many colours of egg I've actually got plus confirm that all 6 are laying

I know I've got a cream ( might be 2) a dark brown and a green layer but I've also had the odd speckled egg and the odd pinkish one

I'm getting eggs from 2 of the 3 coops and I think all but 1 of the girls in no 2 coop are laying at least 2 only once a week

coop 3 is the pullets

coop 1 at least 3 should be laying or aren't far off laying going by the colour of the head gear and the fact that the cockerel isn't to frustrated now plus he's got a shadow or two :wink::wink:

got an egg from our Maran today :dance: Not her first egg ever but her first egg this year. So, that's 4 of them laying now - though the bantam dumpies only lay every 2-3 days and the eggs are like small pekin eggs at the moment, though they're definitely bigger than their pekin mum (and boss her about something dreadful :shameonu: ).

None of my established girls are laying either luvachicken. Just lucky to be getting !eggblue! eggs from one of my new araucana bantams.

Things are getting a tiny bit exciting though.

Polly has started whinging and Gemma and Zoe have been visiting the egg box, plus Zoe is a lovely shade of red.

It's just a waiting game.

an update on the green egg from the pullet it's turned out to be a better green than I thought not as dark as I hoped for but it's the best one of the green layers and it's one of the shiniest eggs I get

I'm almost sure that all 6 pullets are laying I just need a 6 egg day so I can find out the full colour range of their eggs hopefully before the end of next week as I need a few good looking eggs for a display next Saturday