Roksteddie

Missing patch of feathers

So I only got my new girls yesterday and already the worrying has begun. One of the girls has a patch on her back where it looks like a lot of feathers are missing... When preening she seems to spend just a little extra time on that area but nothing excessive. The skin beneath looks fine from what I can make out but she definitely looks like she is 'thinning' in this area. My knee-jerk reaction was to take her back and swap her for a different one but I feel that might be a bit of an over-reaction. Is this a cause for concern or a common thing where she'll just regrow new feathers when she's settled?

feathers grow back normally when they molt

if the birds are less than 20 weeks old they are more than likely still growing feathers

as for the feather loss it's probably the result of sorting out the pecking order or a bit of boredom at the place you got them from just keep an eye on them as feather pecking can become an habit

I've been assured that she is definitely 17 weeks old as I had suspected that maybe she was an older hen who is going through an actual moult. Her feathers seem quite 'downy' in places so maybe she is still trying to grow her adult feathers properly. Although I found a large feather in the coop today. Then actually saw one drop off her when she puffed herself out while out in the run. She seems happy and content and has already claimed the top hen spot so I don't she's suffering being pecked at by the others. The supplier has said that I can take her back and swap her if I'm really concerned, but that feels cruel since something about her made me pick her.... I just don't want a 'dud' hen...!

at 17 weeks she's still growing feathers basically her first adult feathers so technically she is molting but not as drastic as the annual molt more drop a few grow a few as youngster are growing body , feathers , getting ready to make eggs and keep warm all at the same time so this time of year it takes longer