AndyRoo

Flies around you know what!

Hello all,

Now that summer has fully hit, I've noticed we've ended up with a lot of blue bottle flies that are feasting on... well, I'm sure you know...

Even if I go out and poo pick I can't get rid of them because as soon as I clear it up, the girls make more.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the little sods?

Andy

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the little sods?

Andy

Bit drastic but you could try re homing them :roll:

Seriously, not really a lot that you can do about the FLIES...maybe it's just a bumper year for bluebottles? :think: Is the run near the compost heap or neighbours compost? If so they may be 'day tripping'.

Ooooh, I hadn't even considered fly trap plants!

Can they survive outdoors? Are they toxic to cats?

Think they can. Gardeners World had an item about them not so long ago. Man had them in his greenhouse. Said they were pretty easy plants.

Oooh, I might go and try that then!

I thought about fly-paper, but as has been pointed out I don't want to risk killing any butterflies or bees - of which I have many as I specifically plant things to attract them!

I might have to pop down to the garden centre tomorrow.

Bought a fly trap although different brand, not Red Top. But it seems to work in the same manner. Plastic bag with funnel thingy and pheromone powder.

Hung it up on a nail, filled it with water and the water came pouring out with the same speed from the bottom... :wall:

Bag wasn't sealed properly at the bottom... somehow managed to get it of the nail again and tape the hole shut without spilling the contents everywhere... called the shop and got to pick up a new one.

So now new bag (which is watertight) is installed and filled and already caught one fly!

Only 19 999 to go!