Hello all,

Now that summer has fully hit, I've noticed we've ended up with a lot of blue bottle flies that are feasting on... well, I'm sure you know...

Even if I go out and poo pick I can't get rid of them because as soon as I clear it up, the girls make more.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the little sods?

Andy

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the little sods?

Andy

Bit drastic but you could try re homing them :roll:

Seriously, not really a lot that you can do about the FLIES...maybe it's just a bumper year for bluebottles? :think: Is the run near the compost heap or neighbours compost? If so they may be 'day tripping'.

I have a gazillion flies too... :wall:

Even considered buying some flesh eating plants... but I fear they wouldn't last long as they would be seriously overfed. :roll:

Ooooh, I hadn't even considered fly trap plants!

Can they survive outdoors? Are they toxic to cats?

I guess you could hang up some fly papers if you have branches close by the poo area/run? Not nice to dispose of, though :vom: and you might end up trapping 'nice' things like butterflies (or would that be classed as collateral damage :think::shock: )

Think they can. Gardeners World had an item about them not so long ago. Man had them in his greenhouse. Said they were pretty easy plants.

Think they can. Gardeners World had an item about them not so long ago. Man had them in his greenhouse. Said they were pretty easy plants.

Oooh, I might go and try that then!

I thought about fly-paper, but as has been pointed out I don't want to risk killing any butterflies or bees - of which I have many as I specifically plant things to attract them!

I might have to pop down to the garden centre tomorrow.

I second Red Tops.

We were swamped with them a few weeks ago here in France - all gone now, & the Red Top is full of them!

They attract the females, so no more breeding...

I have been googling Red Tops and it does sound like something I might give a go. But the instructions say: place at least 10 m away from source of flies.

My garden is only 5 m across and the coop is in the middle...

Is the 10 m a must?

I put my Red Top up just the other day - in typical fashion it's been peeing down since I put it up so it's now become a moot point! D'oh! :wall:

Hopefully once it gets warm again it'll start catching all of the little darlings!

Bought a fly trap although different brand, not Red Top. But it seems to work in the same manner. Plastic bag with funnel thingy and pheromone powder.

Hung it up on a nail, filled it with water and the water came pouring out with the same speed from the bottom... :wall:

Bag wasn't sealed properly at the bottom... somehow managed to get it of the nail again and tape the hole shut without spilling the contents everywhere... called the shop and got to pick up a new one.

So now new bag (which is watertight) is installed and filled and already caught one fly!

Only 19 999 to go!

Well, only two weeks on and the flies are crowding around the thing and have to wait in line to get their turn to go in... :roll:

No clue how many I caught so far, no clue how to judge when it's "full". How do you know that you have to replace it?

Normally by the smell :roll::cry:

:lol:

It does smell a bit funky... but must do I guess to attrackt the flies.