DeniseR

Winter Broody

Hello everyone, :-))

I have a little problem, one of my Araucana banties is wanting to brood!

I bought her May, had her a week then she decided to brood - approx 10 weeks! End July. She is now starting again, what do you think I should do - opinions please.

Last time I left her, making sure she came out to eat and drink and to be honest it was far less stressful than a previous hen I had that took ages to break - stress to hen & me!.

This time though I am concerned, it's so cold I would not like her to freeze and starve to death.

Denise

I've had a broody in January which I let hatch she went broody in miserable damp weather the temp dropped to -1 in the day -5 at night on day 18 all but one egg hatched day 19 - 20 the last one hatched day 21 sadly that one didn't make it as the broody had gone into mommy mode but all the other chicks were fine and went onto adult hood and I think I've still got a couple of the girls from that hatch certainly got a couple of daughters from them and at least one grand daughter

as for breaking a broody personally I don't try to I just leave them to it or let them hatch as for the temp that shouldn't be to mush of a problem as chickens don't loose that much heat I've had both the inside and outside of the coop covered in frost and the birds didn't give off enough heat to thaw a very small bit

I spent the morning kicking her out the coop but she just goes right back in again -

she is such a persistent little chuck! As I was out this afternoon she went into the dog cage placed outside in the garden with the others. When I let her out at dusk she headed straight back inside and plonked herself back down again. Her crop was empty and although I left food & water in the cage with her I don't think she has eaten.i'll try again tomorrow but think it's a losing battle. SJP - trouble is she is sitting on no eggs - last time was 10 weeks, if I can't stop her would I be better putting false eggs under her?

I spent the morning kicking her out the coop but she just goes right back in again -

she is such a persistent little chuck! As I was out this afternoon she went into the dog cage placed outside in the garden with the others. When I let her out at dusk she headed straight back inside and plonked herself back down again. Her crop was empty and although I left food & water in the cage with her I don't think she has eaten.i'll try again tomorrow but think it's a losing battle. SJP - trouble is she is sitting on no eggs - last time was 10 weeks, if I can't stop her would I be better putting false eggs under her?

False eggs is only going to encourage her I think. Are your others laying at the moment? Otherwise you could just close the coop during the day.

I have placed boxes in the nest boxes the past two night to block them off - this morning she was flat as a pancake on newspaper on the coop floor. I have to unblock the nest boxes during the day as the other one is still laying. Will try confining her again during the day tomorrow and if that doesn't work 24/7 it is! - I will feel so guilty but can't have her starving herself to death. I'll let you know how I get on.

She was in broody cage all yesterday, I let her out to sleep with the others and checked at 9pm to see she was still on perch -she was. This morning she came out with the others but when I opened up nest box to let others lay she went straight back on again.

She is now back in cage and I will keep trying - trying being the optimum word!!

I hope I can sort her out before Saturday as I should be collecting 3 more xbats - this might become a bit of a handful.

She needs to be in the cage 24/7 for 3 days,Denise. She will just revert if you keep letting her out. So long as she has her food and water in there, she will be fine.

Your Ex-batts will be in their isolation housing for at least 2 week, so it shouldn't be a problem. See the introductions sticky in the FAQ section - this applies to regular new stock... Ex-batts should always have longer to build up their health and muscle tone. They will also need worming and treating for lice like any other new birds as well.

Thanks Dogmother, will do.

The Ex batts will have a separate coop & run and I have fenced off half the garden area for them - next to the others but out of reach. I have done this before and gradually introduced them to the others but I'm thinking this time I might keep them separate - just trying to get husband used to the idea of 2 coops ;-))

She needs to be in the cage 24/7 for 3 days,Denise. She will just revert if you keep letting her out. So long as she has her food and water in there, she will be fine.

She will have warmed herself up nicely overnight with her friends otherwise.

Keeping her in the cage for 3 days and nights will cool her down. That's what she needs.

Thanks Dogmother, will do.

The Ex batts will have a separate coop & run and I have fenced off half the garden area for them - next to the others but out of reach. I have done this before and gradually introduced them to the others but I'm thinking this time I might keep them separate - just trying to get husband used to the idea of 2 coops ;-))

Great, your previous post just sounded as if you were going to pop them in with the others.

Update... well after a spell in the broody cage and possibly the -4 temps, Toyah has decided it's not a good time to brood and has given up.. yahoo! Thanks guys for the advice :)

I picked up 4 new Ex- batts this afternoon from BHWT. We arrived home through a few snow showers I just had enough time to dust them with lice powder, clip their wings and watch them tuck into their first meal before it went dark. Hopefully they will settle in quickly and have a long & happy life with us. The other girlies weren't too happy - glaring at them from the other side of the garden - think tomorrow is going to be noisy!

I picked up 4 new Ex- batts this afternoon from BHWT. We arrived home through a few snow showers I just had enough time to dust them with lice powder, clip their wings and watch them tuck into their first meal before it went dark. Hopefully they will settle in quickly and have a long & happy life with us. The other girlies weren't too happy - glaring at them from the other side of the garden - think tomorrow is going to be noisy!

Aww, how sweet and what a lovely thing to do :D

I bet you can't wait to see them again in the morning.

Glad you managed to sort your broody too.