GrannyTrish

Scots Greys - Newbie to chickens

Mine often go to bed anytime after 8.30 pm in the summer and sadly get up around 4 am :shock:

I'm hoping to re-train mine though, to a more sensible time since they've had their door shut over the winter because of a rat.

The 4 am start is fine as long as nothing frightens them and it sets off their clucking :roll:

Mine often go to bed anytime after 8.30 pm in the summer and sadly get up around 4 am :shock:

I'm hoping to re-train mine though, to a more sensible time since they've had their door shut over the winter because of a rat.

The 4 am start is fine as long as nothing frightens them and it sets off their clucking :roll:

Or demand their breakfast! :roll::lol:

So tip: don’t start feeding them breakfast in the morning when they wake up! Getting into the routine is a matter of days, getting out of one has proven impossible for me yet... as I want to keep the neighbours happy.

It took a while but after a couple of years of stressy running down the garden to keep the girls quiet at dawn they finally got the hint that they wait for me. Once I went down, put their food in the run, changed the water and went back indoors - it wasn't until 10am that I looked out, couldn't see the girls and oops! Dashed down and after a few mutterings which I translated as silly old woman, they were right as rain!

But another thing was some other friends girls go to bed later than mine - I guess it's because in the summer we aren't as open and the tree canopy where their run is is a lot darker than friends who have a more open garden.

I can just picture that, Valkyrie! Thankfully we don't have to worry about neighbours being upset as our ladies aren't near enough to disturb them. I have arthritis in my knees so I wouldn't be running anyway, lol.

And I've just realised that hubby is away for a few days at the end of March which means I'll have to get up early. :shock::shock::shock::lol:

Is there a ballpark time for them to start laying after settling in? !eggcream!!eggcream!!eggcream!