GrannyTrish

Scots Greys - Newbie to chickens

We're complete newbies to hens and were intending on getting ex-battery hens, but a friend who used to keep chickens suggested to hubby that we might want to get Scots Greys as they're friendlier.

I just wanted to get your opinions and also to find out if any of you know where in Scotland we could get Scots Greys. We don't want to get a cockerel but as Scots Greys are endangered we wondered if it's possible to get a cockerel for stud (sorry I don't the correct chicken terms!) if we decided to get them.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Guest

We got our three ladies last night. They're used to totally free range and roosting in trees, however, they'll have to roost in their hen house staying with us. Should we keep them in their hen house for a couple of days to get used to it or will they fight being cooped up when they're not used to it?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Thanks, Purplemaniacs, yes we got Scots Greys. Hubby was worried that they'd squabble with being confined when they weren't used to it, but I can put his mind at rest now.

Just waiting on one half of the family to come to visit and see our new additions! Everybody is soooo excited about them, lol!

PS Since I was 3 my favourite colour has been purple!

Congrats on getting hens!

Don’t keep them locked in the hen house day and night, but definitely keep them confined to the run for the first few weeks. They need to get settled, otherwise they might get lost free ranging.

There might still be a bit of squabbling, but as long as no blood is shed, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Thanks! Yes, we've given them the freedom to go from the hen house into the run. I noticed yesterday that they already have a pecking order!

I've found an old metal camping mug that I'm putting mealworms in. I'll go out every now and again, rattle the mug and give them a few mealworms to get them used to my voice and the rattle of tasty treats so that, hopefully, when they're out and about they'll follow the treats at bedtime!

Thanks! Yes, we've given them the freedom to go from the hen house into the run. I noticed yesterday that they already have a pecking order!

I've found an old metal camping mug that I'm putting mealworms in. I'll go out every now and again, rattle the mug and give them a few mealworms to get them used to my voice and the rattle of tasty treats so that, hopefully, when they're out and about they'll follow the treats at bedtime!

Generally once they have decided the hen house is home, they will put themselves to bed.

There are foxes around but I've been very lucky. Mine have always free ranged although their wanderings have been downsized a few times. At the moment they are in the run - DEFRA unfortunately. When I first had them for a few years I would throw their tea time grain into the run about an hour before they went to bed so they would scrabble around and I'd lock them in for safety. When my flock increased I decided there wasn't enough room and allowed them to stay out longer. I have seen a fox next door in the morning just after I let the girls out so I ran back out with some goodies and they went back into their run rather confused. I let them out when I thought the coast was clear. I know we've had fox prints in the garden long before we had chickens. But it was a neighbour's cat that actually attacked one of mine. Luckily she was rather heavy feathered and by the time she lost a few feathers my feisty buff Sussex attacked the cat to protect her "sister" (hatched at the same time by our broody Orpington). I just saw ginger and black rolling around and then the cat pretty much flew over the fence! Not had an issue with the cat after that! However Squirt still pecks me and she's almost 9 this year. She's quite the ratbag. "Ooops, word censored!"ody argues with her! :lol:

We live on the outskirts of the town with a busy path to the walk around Forfar Loch where it's busy with dog walkers, so there are no foxes during the day. That's out the front but our hens are in the back garden behind gates.

The neighbour's cat keeps it distance due to my hubby's aim with the catapult! :shh:

Once our girls got out of enforced confinement so that they knew their home, I went out at around 4.30pm to put them to bed. That was just a week ago and now when I go out they've put themselves in their coop by 4.30pm (I'm impressed!). This is okay at this time of year, although I'd be waiting until 5pm now as it's getting dark later. Will they always put themselves to bed at this time, or as the nights stretch will they stay out for longer? I'd hate for them to be cooped up early in the long summer nights (roll on).

Chances are they will not put themselves to bed at that time once days are longer. You might want to confine them back to the run around that time though. So you don’t have to stick around till they are off to bed.

Chickens respond to daylight and will get up with first light and go to bed at dusk. Mine wake up around 8 am with a closed coop, but around 7:15 with open coop. In summer I have to get up around 6 am to do their breakfast... (and go back to bed after... :wink: )