Grandmashazzie

Mindfulness/Meditation

I did an online course with Future Learn on Mindfulness last year. It was done via Monash University in Melbourne and one of the lecturers has brought out an app called Smiling Minds, which you can download on your phone or tablet for free to get an idea of what you're going to do.  I haven't done meditation as such but I don't think there's 'much' difference between them but if you download the app you can see for yourself.  I love it!

Just finished an eight-week course with Breathworks (paid for by my employer as part of its health programme). Two lovely teachers and a great group of eight of us, with mixed issues we were looking to improve, mainly physical and also mental heath related.  We met for two hours each week and you will need to do the practice in between sessions to get the most out of it.

It helps if you are prepared to share your experiences (my group was very upfront and fun about this) and at times the group may find itself supporting one or more members. You will also find yourself laughing a lot too. We did a lot of laughing!

If you look on Soundcloud, there are Breathworks meditations you can download for free that will give you a flavour - start with the body scan and the body anchor. There's also a book  "Mindfulness for health a practical guide to relieving pain reducing stress and restoring wellbeing" that I got out of the library, that tells you all about mindfulness and the science behind it, describes the meditations and has CD's, if you have CD player.

Enjoy your course and let us know how you get on :-D

:lol: Soapy!

I've been trying Tai Chi (but in the comfort of my living room and no witnesses) via Youtube.  I keep forgetting all the moves, but I'm getting better at standing on one leg!  I thought it would be good for my stressy sessions just lately.  I like to think it's meditating but I seem to hold my breath and when I do it's out when it should be in!  So I've decided to do one move at a time rather than muddle along the whole lot and get tangled up with my left leg being in the wrong place when I turn round!

Hope you enjoy the Mindfulness sessions when you do go.

Got to first day yesterday. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting. A lot of sensible advice about decluttering your mind. She said we all have 70,000 thoughts each day and half of them are false. For example looking in mirror,thinking I am fat,old , whatever. These thoughts are of no use and we have to start thinking with our conscious brain. According to trainer only 5 per cent of people do this and they are top leaders,athletes etc. Also past is over,we cannot go back and change it so stop worrying/ dwelling on issues. Also we cannot control the future again stop worrying. Message seemed to be all we have is today,wake up, love yourself,tell those important to you,you love them,be kind to others and don’t let others negativity ruin your perception of who you are. I wish I had found this 20-30 years ago when I was quite self conscious,now I am happy in my own skin.

• Thanks 1

Ah - a bit like what I do mostly when OH tries to tell me facts and figures.  Obviously I don't need that info cluttering my brain so I go ooh squirrel!  Funny how it only happens when he's talking about the finances.  I seem to have a head start on the mindlessness side of it ;) but if it helps and you are getting benefit from rethinking things then it can't be bad at all.:)