BellBuckle

How Many Hens in Cube w/ 2m Run

Hello there :) As far as I know each chicken should have at least 1sqm runspace. The 2m cube run comes to 3.41sqm, hat would mean you could fit 3 chickens into it run. That might not be enough though to keep them warm in the cube if it every gets cold where you are though. I will let others who have more cube experience chime in with that though! :)

I’m a brand new Cube owner myself but will chime in anyway. I have four hens and one large rooster with a 4 meter run. They fit comfortably in the Cube, but I’m really glad I got the very long run. In person it was shorter than I expected. I think it’s because the run space includes the area under the Cube itself. In my mind, I expected the 3 meter run would be the space of the 4 meter.  

Your Cube won’t be an issue. I currently have 4 bantams in mine and they’ve been warm enough over sub-zero nights this winter so 3 full sized hens will be fine. The limiting factor will be your run size. I don’t think the area is 3.41sqm because I think the dimensions in 220cm x 155cm are the dimensions out to the edges of the run skirt. I think it’s probably more like 200 x 135 so 2.7sqm (That’s for a new Cube - I could measure my old style one when it’s light tomorrow!). So in theory I agree with Merlah you should be OK with 3 full sized chooks. But, if you’re anything like me, you’ll put them in there and instantly decide you’re not happy with how much space they’ve got and buy either a run extension or walk in run 😂

You won’t be disappointed by a Cube though - they’re brilliant.

We have a cube. Had one since they first came out and this is a long standing discussion. :D

Apparently they recommend 6 full sized hens - however, its the living space you need to be aware of, as they all clamber on each other when they go to bed xD We had 10 at one point. and I remember someone counting more than that.

Cathy

x

Plenty of experience of cubes on this forum! The housing is less of an issue - they all tend to roost together anyhow, despite having plenty of room. You need to allow an ABSOLUTE minimum of 1m sq per bird in the run, not forgetting that with the cube, the first meter is under the housing. If you have a 2 metre run, then I wouldn't put any more than 3 birds in it; I think that it isn't wise to get a cube unless you have at least 2 extensions on the run, so 3 metres of run length. Mine have long runs like a train, and they are easily covered with clear tarpaulins too.

I just received my 3 meter cube will try to assemble it if the sun ever comes out. I have raised homing pigeons and Bob white quail. Over crowding birds never worked.

I will max out at six medium sized hens or a mixture medium/large. 

I enjoy the forum thanks everyone.