SeramaSilly

Has anyone bought a G Plan sofa recently?

Hello there,

Just wondering whether anyone has bought a G Plan sofa recently?  My sofa has completely died (it is about 25 years old! :o) and I want to buy a good quality new one.  I've found a G Plan  one which feels incredibly comfortable and I thought I was sorted because G Plan is supposed to be a good make right?  Well I've looked at some reviews online and they don't seem to fare too well so now I'm confused!

Sorry no experience of G plan. I think Parker Knoll are hard to beat,re comfort and longevity. Very well made. We got new sofa for room in our extension at Christmas and trekked round many showrooms, trying this style,that style,they were either too low at back,cushion was too short,too long etc,etc,. I was really torn wanting to get my same Parker Knoll in different colour and decided it was only comfy in showrooms as it was what I was used too. We picked another suite and I am really sorry. It’s just about ok, thankfully room is only occasional use. My advice would be visit a few showrooms and test them out.

I worked in accounts in a high-end home furnishing store for a long time but left in 2002. We used to stock G-Plan but stopped when they were taken over. I don't the reason behind that decision but it would put me off buying G-Plan. We also stocked Parker Knoll, up until I left. We have a leather suite that we bought 25+ years ago from my ex-employers and it's still going stong.

1 hour ago, GrannyTrish said:

I worked in accounts in a high-end home furnishing store for a long time but left in 2002. We used to stock G-Plan but stopped when they were taken over. I don't the reason behind that decision but it would put me off buying G-Plan. We also stocked Parker Knoll, up until I left. We have a leather suite that we bought 25+ years ago from my ex-employers and it's still going stong.

That must be the reason then Granny Trish - I know historically (as confirmed by Clare) they were always considered to be really good but if they've been taken over that maybe explains some of the bad reviews I'm reading.  My sister bought a sofa a few years ago which at the time seemed really comfortable but about a year down the line it became verrrry uncomfortable to the point that they replaced it!!  I don't want/can't afford to waste a thousand plus so I want to get it right - I think I might try some Parker Knoll sofas due to your's and Grandmashazzie's recommendation. :)

16 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

We bought our sofas from John Lewis forever ago. I have no idea what they cost now but I think we'll have to find out sometime soon because they're just starting to need some tlc. Basically they've lasted through many years and have not had an easy time, I've been very impressed with them. 

When they go you'll know it - all of a sudden I can feel a spring coming through mine and the dog now disappears between the cushions!! :$

• Thanks 1

If you find the basic model you want you may be lucky on gumtree etc. My sofas are kept for 20 plus years and I am constantly surprised at the number of people who list really high end stuff, two years old or so because they are changing their decor. My decor gets freshened by paint, cushions etc and the basics stay the same. 

I've just gone onto Parker Knoll's website and they have moved from Chipping Norton and have been bought over by the same company as G-Plan :(. So thinking back to other manufacturers we stocked, Ercol, Sherborne Upholstery and Cintique all still seem to be independent, going by their websites.

9 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

Interesting......some international company seems to own most of the big names,including G plan.

Yikes!! O.o

8 hours ago, GrannyTrish said:

I've just gone onto Parker Knoll's website and they have moved from Chipping Norton and have been bought over by the same company as G-Plan :(. So thinking back to other manufacturers we stocked, Ercol, Sherborne Upholstery and Cintique all still seem to be independent, going by their websites.

Aw thanks - I've started something here!!! :D

5 hours ago, soapdragon said:

A friend has just bought an Ercol sofa and is very pleased with it; it looks great and is a nice, modern but classic design.

Thanks for the recommendation!! :-)