Chloe

Eglu as broody coop

Hi everyone, One if my girls is using my eglu as a broody coop, her eggs are due to hatch any day. I’m going to fashion a ramp out of the coop into the run to avoid that drop, do I need to do anything with the run at all? They’re LF chicks not bantam so shouldn’t be tiny chicks but wondering if the run gaps will still be too big and they’d be able to get out? Also any other advice welcome please, this is my first time broody hen so it’s all new :) thank you 

Edited by Chloe
Spelling error

The should be OK with the run. I am assuming that you have taken the roosting bars out.

You will need a non-slip flooring in the eglu for the first couple of weeks, while they gain their strength and are still susceptible to splay legs.I tend to use that rubberised webbing that can be used on trays.

Thanks for that, I did take the bars out when I moved broody girl into there, yesterday I put anti slip down under the shavings, it made a huge difference actually I didn’t realise how slippy it was, is it ok to have shavings on the top? :)

Shavings or Aubiose/similar will be fine.

I've not had a problem with the run bars but if you know you have cats or small predators you could put some plastic around the run base. If they're in a Class or Go they will soon get the hang of jumping into the eglu.