dorayb

Getting chickens into cube at night

Hello. I have 6 6-week old chickens and they will not go into the cube at night. Only one has managed to walk up the steps, I have yet to see the others, even with a little coaxing. 

Any tips to get them to head up at night? I've had to climb in and get them in there or carry each one and put them in through the back. I'd like to stop doing this. I do not have the option to set up a light for the night. I think keeping them shut in for a few days in the cube would not work as I have no where to put food/water. Thx

They are rather young, so might just physically not be able to get up the ladder. Many here have made a ramp instead of the Cube ladder. 

How many nights have you been doing this? It will take them a while to get the hang of it. Also what do you call night? Chickens normally go to bed at dusk, with the odd exception going before dusk. They are practically night blind so should take themselves in before it really goes dark.

The first week I made a wooden ramp board with the typical rungs. I used cable ties to affix the wooden ramp on top of the Eglu ladder. Two of the birds were6 weeks, I think a Little a little small for the Eglu ladder. Made the transition easy when I removed the wooden ramp. 

Worked perfectly 

7ED5245A-D5D5-462D-B41A-D0F61F651EC8.jpeg

I also left them in the cube for 2 days, I left their water and food in the coop with them. They did not leave the cube for 2 days. I then put the food and water outside in the run and the rest is history. In the evening I place the food and water in the cube to encourage them to go inside

I would really advice against leaving your chickens in a coop during the daytime. Especially in summer, temperatures can easily get much too high. Also, they will decide the coop is home in their own time and really don’t have to be shut in for that.

9 hours ago, Cat tails said:

I would really advice against leaving your chickens in a coop during the daytime. Especially in summer, temperatures can easily get much too high. Also, they will decide the coop is home in their own time and really don’t have to be shut in for that.

Cat Tails you may have misinterpreted. I left them, not locked them in. Night time locked in daytime the door was open. The first two weeks we had frost warnings 5 different nights.

Yes if it is too hot, don’t leave them shut in (locked in)the cube. You can do as I did leave the door open. They did not leave, it was their choice. On the 3rd day I moved the food and water outside encouraging them to venous on their own and explore they ew world.

Cheers

7 hours ago, stepnout said:

Cat Tails you may have misinterpreted. I left them, not locked them in. Night time locked in daytime the door was open. The first two weeks we had frost warnings 5 different nights.

Yes if it is too hot, don’t leave them shut in (locked in)the cube. You can do as I did leave the door open. They did not leave, it was their choice. On the 3rd day I moved the food and water outside encouraging them to venous on their own and explore they ew world.

Cheers

No worries. It is advice you see very often on websites to lock them in the coop for two days straight. Which does nothing but stress them out. Mine where far from tempted to go out and explore at first too, but I had them in May, so chucked them out to get on with it. They were 10 weeks though, so little bit more independent (well technically 😉)

• Like 1