Pecky&Boo

Can I mix Aubiose and Wood chip for run floor?

And would there be any point? 

Im very very new to all this. At the moment my run is on grass but obviously that’s quickly getting destroyed- so I was looking for a new solution.

I bought Aubiose first because it sounded great. Then I started panicking that their run (Eglu Cube) wasn’t waterproof enough (it’s totally covered with tarpaulins on the roof and they go half way down each side.) so I ordered some wood chips. I’ve still got a bag of auboise which I’ve opened and I’m wondering if it’s worth mixing it in with the wood chips? Or is it worth weatherproofing a bit more, sending the wood chips back and  trying to make Auboise work? 

We are in a city with close neighbours so need something easy to keep clean! 

Thanks 

The aubiose will break down quicker than woodchip but will absorb the chicken poo beautifully so give it a go.  Rake the woodchip away then you can scoop up the soiled Aubiose when needed. 

I chuck down Stalosan F occasionally to keep bacterial load down particularly in wet weather.  Enjoy your girls :)

Not sure about mixing the two. I would just stick to one. But what will be below the chips or aubiose? Is it still bare earth or paving slabs? I would definitely not put woodchips directly on earth. Will make a clumpy mess. Your chickens will keep scratching away and will turn the chips into the earth. I had that and it didn’t work.

Thanks both. 

at the moment we don’t have slabs. (Was hoping to avoid having rats tunnelling under them - even though I probably already have them under my decking). Can you put Auboise straight into earth? 

I think I like the Aubiose idea best really. Can it be used on an outside run with just tarpaulins? One side is sort of sheltered by a fence and the back is kind of under a tree. The tarp goes half way down the sides. 

Personally, I would slab under the run, then use Aubiose in the run. Mine all have clear tarps over the op and all down the sides, with kickboards along the bottom to stop the litter being kicked out. Now that we are usually under DEFRA's prevention orders in the winter, and birds are in the run 24/07, I have been cutting the Aubiose with some Easichick, which is finely shredded wood. It just gives it more texture so that it doesn't cake so easily. I rake Ground Sanitising powder through the litter once a week, and then on the slabs when I clear it out.

2 hours ago, Pecky&Boo said:

Thank you. That’s a really sensible idea. How far down the side of the run do yours  go? 

Im off to Wickes later to recce paviving slabs and kick boards for the run. 

My clear tarps are the ones with corded webbing in them - they go down to a couple of inches off the ground and are angled outwards with bungee hooks, so the rain doesn't get in the bottom. From memory, they are 3' x 4m

One of my runs has that corrugated plastic lawn edging around the bottom. The others have old, creosoted sleepers - the gunk means they are mite repellent.

You might find some free slabs on freecycle