Maxine1

Both chickens have stopped laying

I've had them just over a year, so I don't know what this could be. First one stopped laying and now the other. I can't see anything wrong, though they look a bit tatty - moulting? But I'm missing the eggs, and hoping they're not unwell in some way. 

Any ideas for what it might be, and what to do?

Thanks.

Chickens do often stop laying when they are moulting, as moulting does cost a lot of energy. Also if you have pure breed chickens, it is very unlikely that they will keep laying year round. But even hybrids may take a break during of just after very hot weather or very cold weather.

As long they are doing their chicken things (eating, scratching, having a dust bath) then I wouldn’t worry too much.

When did you last worm them, and what with?

They should be wormed with Flubenvet medicated pellets, ideally quarterly. You feed them these and nothing else for 7 days, restricting free ranging at this time. If you haven't wormed them for a while, or believe that they may have a heavy worm load, then do one cycle, wait for 3 weeks and then repeat. This is essential for their health, and birds with a gut full of worms won't have the necessary nutrients to lay eggs, or form proper shells.

Whilst, and after worming  them, I would add some herbal gut conditioner to their water to help promote healthy gut function and flora. If they are older, then they'd benefit from a tonic, either a liquid such as vit boost in their water, or a powdered one like mineral boost in their pellets.

On 30/08/2018 at 8:36 PM, The Dogmother said:

Could be moulting or coming into moult - it's that time of year ad the daylight is drawing in.

That was what I thought too, although if they’re hybrids it’s less common.

2 hours ago, Maxine1 said:

I've discovered one is laying a soft egg and eating it, so I'm trying to add calcium to their diet - oyster shell in the grit etc

I found that lifeguard tonic helped one of my pekins, or at least when I started adding it tot their water her shells improved).

Are you feeding live mealworms? I can’t find any at the moment.