Luvachicken

Omlet auto door reviews

I've been thinking about the door for my girls so thought I'd have a look at the reviews.

It says there are 12 altogether but there are actually only 6. Each review has been repeated.

They do seem to be quite positive but I would have preferred to have read 12 reviews.

I don't usually close my Cube door but do when it is very cold or windy.

Do you think I would be able to re-train my girls to not get up so early in the summer with the door ?

And what if we have a really hot summer like last year, wouldn't they bake with the door shut ?

My 3 bantams sleep outdoors in the run most of the time.  Just use the cube for laying purposes.  The oldies use their cube but tend to go to bed and sleep in these days.  Occasionally, I’ll go to close them up at night and find one oldie with her head out the door.  An automatic door would decapitate her! 

Margot used to sleep with her head poking out of the door in the summer, and now, when I go to shut the door (because Pootles crow is muffled when the door is closed) Pootle is often perching in the doorway. Not sure what would happen if the door was automatic.

I’m not sure what would happen in the summer. If I were to keep Pootle I think I’ll have to keep shutting the door at night so they’ll never be able to come out until 6:30 at the earliest and mor often 7am. I think I’ll feel a bit mean doing his because I know that left to their own devices they’re awake and out and about well before 5 in mid summer. I doubt they’d overheat though - it’s very rare for it to be all that hot  early in the morning isn’t it?

My hybrids were a nightmare.  Noisy from 5am in summer.  We had one that used to lay at sunrise and make more noise than a rooster.  To be fair her eggs were huge and always double-Yorkers; They had to hurt.  Sometimes she’d manage two in a day too.  She didn’t live long 😕.  My neighbour 3 doors down loved chickens and used to phone me to check she hadn’t been caught by a fox 

7 minutes ago, ajm200 said:

My hybrids were a nightmare.  Noisy from 5am in summer.  We had one that used to lay at sunrise and make more noise than a rooster.  To be fair her eggs were huge and always double-Yorkers; They had to hurt.  Sometimes she’d manage two in a day too.  She didn’t live long 😕.  My neighbour 3 doors down loved chickens and used to phone me to check she hadn’t been caught by a fox 

Haven’t heard the Pekins make a sound yet except in fright.  

On 12/31/2018 at 4:32 PM, Luvachicken said:

I've been thinking about the door for my girls so thought I'd have a look at the reviews.

It says there are 12 altogether but there are actually only 6. Each review has been repeated.

They do seem to be quite positive but I would have preferred to have read 12 reviews.

I don't usually close my Cube door but do when it is very cold or windy.

Do you think I would be able to re-train my girls to not get up so early in the summer with the door ?

And what if we have a really hot summer like last year, wouldn't they bake with the door shut ?

No 😊. If had a door closer it would only be used if we were away or I was desperate to lie-in.  We leave the door open in summer.  We’ve had girls announcing eggs at 5amwith the door shut.  There is a lot of light visiabke around a MK1 cube door even if it’s shut.  Ours currently faces a security light and I see a lot of light when I get the newbie out for enforced cuddles 

Errmm, one of the doors may have fallen into my basket and used up some of my Christmas money :lol:

Why is it that I always end up spending my Christmas money on my chickens ?

I can't wait for it to come. There were at least 2 foxes on our drive at 3am today and another barking in the distance.

Not only that, hubby has just come in and said that a big fox just followed his car onto the drive :shock:

• Haha 1

My new door finally arrived yesterday :dance:  It was meant to arrive on Friday but the snow ruined that delivery.

We tested it out in the lounge on a clementine :lol:

It works very well and if an object/chicken is in the doorway the door tries to shut 4 times and then gives up and stays open.

Hubby sweetly connected it all up for me at lunchtime while I was still at school.

He'd set it up to close at 6pm so we popped out to watch it close with a torch. Job done 😊

On 5/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, MamaCoop said:

Hi Luvachicken how are you getting on with the door? Was it worth the money?

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while.

The door is fab.

Think my girls have finally realised that it opens and 6.15 am and there is no point making any noise now.

Definitely one of the best things I've bought them.

• Like 1

Oh thats good to hear! They are expensive so needed a bit of reassurance before I parted with my money!

I take my food and water out of their run at night. Just thinking how would the hens be if the door opens and there isnt anything there for them? Would they be noisy until i arrive with breakfast or just scratch around? I notice they do all run out when i open the door to the food and water straight away. 

I admit my food and water is left in the run overnight, ready for them in the morning.

Not much point in the door opening at 6.15 for me to have to get up and give them their food soon after otherwise.

We did have a rat getting in before, but have now totally covered the run in cm squared wire and he can't get in.

Have had to admit defeat and let the door open at 5am.

The girls were doing quite well and waiting until 6am but the last few mornings they have just made a noise to be let out.

I think I have the noisiest Pekins anywhere.

Admittedly I didn't hear a peep out of them this morning.

Mind you, a gang of magpies  more than made up for the noise at 4.15am instead.

• Haha 1