JenCat060

Help! Pecking problem and separating.

We have four hens in a large walk-in run. One is pecking a couple of the others (one in particular quite badly). We've tried sprays and things to stop boredom but nothing has worked. So we've now put the bully hen in a separate mini coop. I just have a few questions about the separating process though because I'm not sure if we're doing it right. Can anyone help with the following questions:

How many days should we separate for?
Do we keep her separate at night too?
She can still see the other hens - and they can see her. They are quite close. Is this okay?
If she still pecks when we reintroduce her, what's the best next step? All I can think of is to try and re-home her 

I hate seeing this hen separated but at the same time, can't let her peck away at the others.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried bumpa bits? These were brilliant when I had a pecking/plucking problem and got them out of the habit. I left them on for 3-4 weeks and the group is much more stable now. It just stops them pulling feathers or doing any damage. The best thing I found to prevent boredom and bullying is bark chippings and a handful of corn or pellets thrown down in the mornings to keep them busy.

Thanks

Fitting them isn't that bad, we waiting until after they had gone to bed so easier to catch and also it is worth popping the bumpa bits in some warm water to soften the plastic which again makes it easier. 

Just keep an eye on them to make sure they can still eat ok - one of my girls really struggled as they were quite long and she couldn't manage so we had to take it off again after a few days. The rest were fine though.