poppy ben grace

Omlet walk in run extension opinions please!

Hi, I currently have a cube with 2 meter run and 6x2 walk in run as in pictures below. I’ve saved really hard and sold some precious things to pay for all this and it’s my pride and joy lol!

omlet have 10 % off extensions at the moment and I am considering extending it so it’s 3 meters wide . Do you think it would look silly if I do this? I’ll have to change the position of the cube too. It will have to go to the other end .It’s a right pain but the hens are confined to the run permanently as we have fox problems and I just want to give them as much space as I can .8F05AA5D-C564-4FCC-9EA7-291B34E5AE4E.thumb.jpeg.dcabc5f927ae36175ce4237db2ce29ad.jpeg

I just have 3 hens at the moment but am planning on getting 3 more at the weekend. 

I cant tell the OH of my plans until I’ve made up my mind as he’ll probably  go mad 😂😂😂

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

A8EEAA4B-3188-4A44-9F46-881B5D125AEA.jpeg

I have an Omlet WIR and it’s the one piece of their kit I am not happy with.  It’s too easily accessed by rodents, and, needs covering.   So I’ve spent a fortune on weldmesh to make it rodent proof, and clear tarpaulins to provide shelter. As Cat Tails said, you have loads of space already.  If you want to get more hens, you can extend the useable space with more perches.  I’ve had a Classic in there too, on a table.   I’d save my money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

I would think 6 hens would be perfectly happy in your existing run. With 12 square meters they have double the minimum adviced 1 square meter per chicken. If you have a bigger run, you have more run to clean too... 

Thank you , I’ll have a think over the weekend ! 

25 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I have an Omlet WIR and it’s the one piece of their kit I am not happy with.  It’s too easily accessed by rodents, and, needs covering.   So I’ve spent a fortune on weldmesh to make it rodent proof, and clear tarpaulins to provide shelter. As Cat Tails said, you have loads of space already.  If you want to get more hens, you can extend the useable space with more perches.  I’ve had a Classic in there too, on a table.   I’d save my money. 

Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean , I can’t understand why the run squares are not the same size on the higher bits.

I do love mine though, previous to this my husband had made me a big walk in run run but a rat still managed to get in ...

It’s reassuring that you feel they’ve got enough room , I just feel bad they can’t free range but I know the fox would soon pay us a visit, it’s already had my neighbors flock plus the second lot they purchased!! 😢

My bantams don’t free range anymore as they fly over the 6 ft fences!  I got tired of tramping through neighbours gardens.  But they get treats etc so seem happy.  Yes, there are some advantages of the Omlet WIR over a standard one.  It is more moveable, although we’ve put slabs all the way round for these pesky rats.   But it annoys me that Omlet haven’t changed the spec to a smalle mesh.  

7 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

My bantams don’t free range anymore as they fly over the 6 ft fences!  I got tired of tramping through neighbours gardens.  But they get treats etc so seem happy.  Yes, there are some advantages of the Omlet WIR over a standard one.  It is more moveable, although we’ve put slabs all the way round for these pesky rats.   But it annoys me that Omlet haven’t changed the spec to a smalle mesh.  

Bless them ! How big is their run then if you don’t mind me asking? 

I guess it must come down to cost , a shame really 😩 it’s like the new cube ....

They have the metre cube run attached to a 2m x2m WIR.  There are only 3 of them.  I have another 3 old age pensioner Polish Bantams who live in a cube with a 2 metre run, but have a fenced off area of the garden as well.  They don’t fly! 

Edited by Patricia W
  • Like 1

I would always give mine as much space as I can afford. Yes, as everyone says, they currently have an adequate amount but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give them more if you could. 

I’m happy with my run (I now have 2m x 4m but only lo-rise) but I agree with others that it does seem very expensive for what it is.

In answer to your original question, looking at your set up I don’t think increasing the width by a metre would look weird at all - just expensive! Why would you have to move the Cube and would you still be able to get into the Cube if you moved it to the other end?

55 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

I would always give mine as much space as I can afford. Yes, as everyone says, they currently have an adequate amount but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give them more if you could. 

I’m happy with my run (I now have 2m x 4m but only lo-rise) but I agree with others that it does seem very expensive for what it is.

In answer to your original question, looking at your set up I don’t think increasing the width by a metre would look weird at all - just expensive! Why would you have to move the Cube and would you still be able to get into the Cube if you moved it to the other end?

Thank you, I have a pear tree in the way at the other end which makes it difficult, we’ve already moved it once to accommodate the run ! 

The only other thing would be to add another 2 meters where the cube is and put the cube on the side of the run instead on the lawn .. what do you think? 

that would be cheaper and easier.

ive just picked up 4 more ladies who are currently in the spare eglu in one  half of the run .5448A496-CC60-455B-8762-981F0DBEED74.thumb.jpeg.5ecbeb9a73526c0f49773867e3842507.jpegBC7F39BF-7A05-49EE-8D3F-BDB0551293F9.thumb.jpeg.dac20725441989db981ea3f7423e17e0.jpeg