Hg612

Gapeworm, flubenvet dose

Hi everyone,

Absolutely devastated my beautiful bantam is suffering from what I suspect is gapeworm. Symptoms started in the last two days so today gave flubenvet pellets. But this evening I checked the expiry date and they are out of date by a week :( I'm going to go for the powder as it is more economical, where is the cheapest place to buy it? Will it get into her system quicker by the grape method or should I mix it with the feed? I really want to get her through this, she is a special hen and I really don't want to lose her :( I just hope she makes it through the night so I can administer it to her tomorrow. She's eating and drinking fine, is well in herself so fingers crossed. 

For gapeworm the flubenvet needs to go down the throat progressively, as the worms are in the surface, so pellets is the route. Wouldn't worry about the expiry date, as it's only a week. It would normally be effective almost immediately as we have discovered, so give her the pellets now and nothing else to eat. The powder is very expensive and you may well find the  treated pellets the best route anyway; saves the messing about mixing it as well.

This assumes it is tapeworm of course. They will gape if they have something stuck or have a hard crop that won't budge. If she's eating and drinking fine she will take the pellets and hopefully that will sort her out. If she is sneezing that's another issue which may well be 'hay fever' this time of year; we have one at the moment because her run is under a cherry tree which has just flowered.