SueChick

Thin Shelled Eggs in Young Hens?

Hi everyone.  I have had hens for a long time now but I haven’t seen this before in that both of my new hens (24 weeks old) have started laying some thin shelled and some completely shell-less eggs?  Has only just started over the last week or two although they have been laying beautifully since about 18 weeks and it’s been on/off over the last fortnight.  

I have just started worming them and my original 5 year old and they are 3 days in on flubenvet pellets.  

In the past when I have had the odd softie or thin shell I have used limestone flour but I have read recently that calcium can cause kidney issues if you over do it.  So could I ask you lovely hen friends how to tackle this please?

They have free access to grit but the treats may have crept up a bit too much recently due to loud clucking which my family have responded to by feeding them treats!  The hens have learnt this quickly and have clucked even more!  So I have stopped the treats anyway for the worming and will keep them to a minimum from now on but should I be doing anything else to increase shell quality?

Thanks a lot everyone.