Hi Im fairly  new to keeping hens but absolutely loving it. 

Wanted some advice about feeding as I just fill their feeder when empty and it hangs on the side of the run all day. I take it in at night to avoid attracting pests. 

Should you put a certain amount out for hens and then take it in each day when finished at a certain time rather than having food available all day? And then possibly giving  them a treat late afternoon. 

They have been free ranging for most of the day bit just moved into a permanent walk in run today. 

Also on the poo front I have a white hen who constantly seems to have runny poo. Not sure if this just shows up more because she is white but her back feathers are always dirty. I have given her a couple of baths and then today her back feathers are stained with black poo. Not sure if she is poorly? She hasnt eaten anything like berries that would turn it this colour. 

Hello. My hens have pellets always available and I think most do. I’ve noticed that on days when they’re shut in for all or most of the day their crops are massive, so maybe this isn’t a good idea if they’re never allowed to free range.  

Not sure about the poo - I have one who when in lay always has a mucky bottom - doesn’t matter what I feed her or any supplements I give her she’s always the same and apart from that she seems really healthy. 

Maybe some hens get IBS?

Chickens eat first thing in the morning and last thing at night generally, sometimes snacking in-between times. Ours have food out all day and it's left out as we don't have a pest problem. Only problem is if it gets wet, in which case it is thrown away immediately and replaced as it goes off very quickly. They don't get treats regularly, otherwise they hold out for them and don't eat the proper balanced food; perhaps every few weeks.

Mucky bottoms can be a sign of worms and they should have Flubenvet every 6 months. Could also be a digestive flora imbalance, in which case I'd give them Avipro Avian. You should see an improvement with worms immediately and gut flora after about a week.

just leave feed out all day and  let them have what they want - they will eat less of it when free ranging

mine usually have a feed then go free ranging for treats AKA bugs etc but can and will eat whenever they feel like it not at a set time

poo wise - I would worm them all - just get a 20kg sack of medicated feed and give them this for a week

Edited by janz70

On 6/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, Cat tails said:

What did you worm them with?

Might be better to get a poo sample tested. Some vets will do this. I think someone on here did an internet poo check. No point in worming, when they have none.

😍😍😍

If they've just been wormed I wouldn't do them again without getting a Fecal Worm Egg Count, cheapest will be to get a kit online unless your vet does them in-house.

I leave pellets out so they can feed ad-lib, ours rarely get treats. Things like yoghurt can cause diarrhea so stop treats if they get any and see if that firms her up, otherwise I've had some success with activated charcoal.