AndyRoo

Possible worms / poorly hen! :(

Hi guys,

I was just doing my usual big clear-out of the run and for the first time ever I noticed there were some worms in the chippings. This made me worried that the hens may have worms - or might end up catching them. Naturally I cleaned them all out and thoroughly cleaned the slabs underneath, but is there anything I can put down on the ground that will kills any remaining worms and their eggs that won't hurt the hens?

I literally just wormed the hens 2 months ago with Flubenvet - can I do it again so soon? Should I wait? Is there something else I can use? I've also just switched their feed to the Verm-X brand, so I want to make sure I don't overdo their medication.

I checked their droppings and I can't see any evidence that they have worms in those... but obviously I can't check every individual poo!

This was when I noticed that one of our girls was being sulky in a corner on her own and I watched her for a few minutes and realised she was just standing there with her eyes shut not moving. I've gone over and checked her out and I can't see any sign of eye problems; she's not sneezing, she has no discharge or anything. Her vent is clean - I can see no evidence of mites on her or in the Cube. She was just being really lethargic and quiet and sleepy. When I picked her up she squawked and became very alert, letting me know she wanted to be put down, but then she went back to being quiet again.

I'm just worried the two things might be connected. Any advice or ideas would be welcomed!

Cheers,

Andy

14 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Bi-oo-cyst or interkokast are what you need I think. Hope she’s ok 

Thanks MH. I've bought a different ground sanitiser to usual, so I am going to try spreading that everywhere too.

I hope she's ok. I can't see anything obviously wrong with her, I can just tell she isn't quite right. Unless maybe she is just really, really tired for some reason.

11 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Were they actually intestinal worms, or earthworms? Intestinal worm eggs can be killed off by sprinkling ground sanitising powder in the run every week. I would get a faecal egg count done Westgate are good) and see what that tells you.

They looked like regular earthworms to me.

I do use a ground sanitiser but I realised it didn't specifically mention treatment for worms - so I've just bought some of the Nettex stuff which specifically mentions them. I'm going to use some of that just in case.

The two things are probably unconnected, but I'm feeling a bit panicked because I don't want a poorly hen. :(

15 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Verm-X isn’t a “real” wormer, as it relies on herbs making the gut uninviting for worms. Personally I think it’s a lot of bogus, but to each their own.

I did wonder that myself when we bought it, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I still planned to worm them twice a year with Flubenvet anyway.

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

Verm-X isn’t a “real” wormer, as it relies on herbs making the gut uninviting for worms. Personally I think it’s a lot of bogus, but to each their own.

:lol: I'll not get involved in that one... suffice to say that I agree.;)

Andy, earthworms will be there - they are attracted by the droppings; what you are trying to avoid is a reservoir of intestinal worm eggs building up and then reinfesting your birds every time you have treated them. I would sprinkle the Aubiose in their run every week with Ground Sanitising Powder and rake it through. Use it on the slabs/base when you muck the run out, and before you lay clean litter. That will be fine. Keeping the run dry is crucial to preventing a build up of bacteria, fungal spores and worm eggs, so a clear, waterproof covering is essential too.

If you are concerned, then I'd get a faecal count done every quarter to put your mind at rest, and then you'll know what you're working with.

3 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Unless maybe she is just really, really tired for some reason.

Two of mine have been really knocked by their mould this year - both in the few days before they actually started to lose feathers and both hens who are about 18 months old and so having their first proper moult. I wonder if it could be that?

• Like 1

Well, fortunately she seems to have perked up a bit today.

I've had to order a new tarp, though - the wind has been rough and I just noticed it's ripped a huge hole in the current one! *facepalm*

I have the new ground sanitiser arriving tomorrow along with some vitamins.

• Like 1