Leicester_H

Leg rings - 4 of 5 pulled off!

Hi

I bought some spiral leg rings and 4 of the 5 hens have pulled them off (or others have pulled them off).

As they're ex-bats, the look similar - need to be able to tell them apart in case of vet's visits etc.

The rings I got were quite flimsy - thinner plastic than previous ones.

I've seen some 'click-on'(?) ones but worried I wouldn't be able to remove them if I needed to.

Do people that show hens use anything 'special'?

Any advice ? Also, what size would you suggest for standard brown ex-bats please?

TIA, H

The spiral leg rings will fit any size legs as they expand. Very odd that they are breaking - do you think they are more brittle plastic , like those defective bumpa bits that Omlet was sending out? I have a chook (one of 'twins', so I need to tell them apart) who has had the same spiral leg ring on for at least a couple of years. I got mine form Cotswold Chickens, if you want to try some of theirs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, The Dogmother said:

The spiral leg rings will fit any size legs as they expand. Very odd that they are breaking

Hi - they didn't break - I found them intact in the run. They were rather thin plastic and I think that a hen pulled on one end and they simply came off.

I had some older, sturdier ones which are stiffer (I think due to age) - I put in hot water to soften and put 4 of these on - time will tell if they are any better !

If spiral rings fit any size legs why do suppliers (inc. Omlet) specify a size ?

Just looked  at Cotswold Chicken site (to get some spares) - says rings are 25p each, but when I add to basket, they come up as 50p each ?

Also, can't instantly see how much p&p is -  postage often costs more than the product on these sorts of things. Found it £7 ! not worth it for a few leg rings !!!

Thanks, all, H

Edited by Leicester_H
found price of p&p

1 hour ago, Leicester_H said:

Just looked  at Cotswold Chicken site (to get some spares) - says rings are 25p each, but when I add to basket, they come up as 50p each ?

Also, can't instantly see how much p&p is -  postage often costs more than the product on these sorts of things. Found it £7 ! not worth it for a few leg rings !!!

Thanks, all, H

Dunno about that H - best to email them on aagoodlifeco@gmail.com

If I had any spares, I would send some out to you, but I checked earlier and can't see any.

• Thanks 1