Terri_1969

Soft shell egg?

Hi. I’m completely new to forums and ducks, but here goes! My two Khaki Campbell girls started laying a cpl of eggs last weekend. But for the past cpl of days, there’s been only one egg and in the pen, what looks like to be a deflated white balloon. I should add that they’re shut in their duck shed from 11pm until 8.45am and they lay the egg(s) there. Once they’re in their pen, I’ve found the deflated egg on the platform where their water buckets are. They’re fed on premium layer pellets, and have access at all times while they’re out, to oyster shell as well. I’ve read that this could be a ‘soft shell egg?’ But am not sure why it’s happening. Can anyone help?

We call them softies when a chicken lays them.

If I remember correctly, in simple terms, the egg passes through too quickly and doesn't get a shell.

One of my chickens was going through a spell of softies so I bought her a bottle of Agrivite Enhance Feather, Shell and Bone. It seemed to do the trick and it does say Avian on the bottle so I would assume ducks could have it too.

Others might ask you how old they are and if they have been wormed, as they do with chickens.

Have a search on the chicken pages for soft shelled eggs, that might help you more than the duck pages.