Vallot

HELP! Crow attack

A crow just came into my garden and started a fight with my top hen, Lucy, through the bars of my walk-in run... It managed to get hold of her comb and has drawn blood. It attacked me too and bit through my finger, but at least I can call 111 about it!

I dabbed the blood away from Lucy's comb - we tried to get some purple wound spray on it too, but she's not having any of it. Am I okay to just leave her to recover, do you think?

You will need to watch out for the others pecking at her comb. If it has stopped bleeding then you 'could' leave here there, but can you get into the run, or slide a broom in to herd them into the coop and shut the door so that you can get her out that way? Chickens are attracted to blood, and it doesn't take them long to kill a bird which has a wound. Purple spray is antiseptic and will disguise the colour of the blood. Vet wound powder, which is available from most feed stores, will staunch bleeding.

That's a first for me Vallot, but it is Spring and birds are getting territorial. We have crows and magpies fighting here. As DM says about Lucy, but my main concern is you as I'm sure crows carry some nasty bacteria. Get some antiseptic cream on your injury and make sure it doesn't get infected or it's an urgent trip to the doctor.

Thanks for the advice both. 111 referred me to an urgent treatment centre - currently sat in the waiting room...

...As soon as my neighbour heard all the commotion she said "that must be Toby the Crow" - turns out he's a semi-tamed, local celebrity who gets fed by customers at a local Asda. We looked him up and it's definitely him - same pattern of grey feather With fewer customers at Asda, I'm guessing he's ranging further than usual to find a meal and picked a fight with my hens when he realised he couldn't get into the run and knick their food.

We kept an eye on Lucy for about 20 minutes and the other ladies were leaving her alone - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her status as top hen will mean that they'll think twice about pecking her, but will keep a very close eye on her when I get back. Was planning on feeding her some of the Chicken Vet's Friendly Bacteria tomorrow for the stress.