Annabel

How to Fox Secure this extra bit of run

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice!

currently I have 5 chickens and planning on a few more. These girls have a small run (shown in photos but also goes round side of house) taped off by just Omlet plastic fencing to stop them going in the rest of the garden to limit the spread of poo. For about 7 hours each day they free range the garden which they love.

However I have a bit of ‘scrub land’ up some steps that lead to an area 6.5x5m which I would like to fox proof for free ranging up there so when they are in their taped off section they can enjoy foraging. Currently only one goes up there as I use trellis to prevent them (silver campine flies onto cube roof and just makes it with a clipped wing- she lays up there bless her- see picture!). I called more of them when taking the photos so you could see them (one was too scared).

this scrub land is very overgrown and has lots of trees at the back (and behind them is a large garden - field size). It is also up a sharp incline. 

What I am thinking is whether a tall fence with chicken wire might stop a fence with maybe barbed wire rolls at the base to prevent digging under. I’m hoping my sharp incline would help as a fox planning on jumping would have a large fall the other side? We also have a very high wall around the rest of the garden when they are free ranging (shown by picture with my daughter).

we have lived here 6 years and seen a fox twice - one was a cub a few years ago and then last year we moved out for house renovations for 4 months and took our cocker spaniel and then the builders spotted a fox drinking from the pond. Do wonder if my mad cocker who patrols the garden has meant less fox visits than we would otherwise!

anyway, any advice would be much much appreciated as we are soon hiring in someone to make this as fox-proof as we can within cost!

thanks x

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your garden is stunning!  I just love the walls.

I'd go with CT, and get some electric fencing, I don't think the walls or the drop with deter the fox, and with all that lovely cover neither you nor the hens nor the dog will see him until its too late I would have thought.

51 minutes ago, Daphne said:

Your garden is stunning!  I just love the walls.

I'd go with CT, and get some electric fencing, I don't think the walls or the drop with deter the fox, and with all that lovely cover neither you nor the hens nor the dog will see him until its too late I would have thought.

Agreed - I think you'll struggle to 'police' that area, although it does seem a nice idea to have them foraging in there.

Thank you for all your replies.  My husband has just gone up there to have a look to see what he can do (first time he's probably been up there) and he said it would be near impossible to get any kind of fencing up there, the ground is so uneven, it would have to be threaded through all the trees and then round the side of our neighbour's plot and even then the fox could gain entry by jumping her wall and coming in that way!  

I think I'll just have to take a book and a deckchair up there on a sunny day and let them have a good rummage.  With any luck they might just clear it for me!

Thanks for the comments on our garden (probably looking a bit better than normal with all the free lockdown time!).

xx

And he has just pointed out to me that those old steps lead up to what was once a quarry (the workers used to do up that way) and the reason that scrub land is so raised is because they infilled the area with loads and loads of stone and so digging would be very difficult for posts!  Oh well, I think I'll stick with the book on a sunny day a few times a week and take the ladies up there for a bug treat! Like sweetie Fridays :)

• Like 2