HRJ

Red in droppings

I have the worming kit now and will send it off tomorrow. Their verdict on the photos was that it was worth getting a worm egg count So we shall see ...

In the meantime, I now have growers pellets so will switch them on to that. As they are on layers crumb at the moment, how would be the best way to introduce them to the new food? A mixture for a few days?

I was just out with the the hens, doing a little chatting to them, and I noticed this on the woodchips in the run. Just an isolated spot of blood, I presume. My suspect hen is also droopy tailed. It doesn't look too good, does it? Anyway, I will send off a fresh poop sample to Westgate tomorrow.

IMG-0001.JPG

I thought I would come back on here to thank Dogmother for the recommendation of the Gourmet Grit: my lovely girls adore it ... can't stop chomping. I am hopeful that this will help their tummies.

I posted the poop sample off to Westgate this morning so we shall see what comes back from that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HRJ said:

I thought I would come back on here to thank Dogmother for the recommendation of the Gourmet Grit: my lovely girls adore it ... can't stop chomping. I am hopeful that this will help their tummies.

I posted the poop sample off to Westgate this morning so we shall see what comes back from that.

I also stole that recommendation! Waiting on it arriving.... But I have noticed my current grit pot is full of water so may have to move that. Was enjoying no rain!

hope your girls are ok. 

I think you'll be delighted when the grit arrives As I said, they went from no interest in the grit pots to couldn't keep away!

Not sure how the girls are. I am quite worried about them. I'll will be sure to post updates and hopefully all will turn out well.

Just to conclude this saga ... I got the test result back from Westgate Labs (very impressed with their service) and the result was 'no eggs seen' which was a huge relief! Since removing the ACV in the water, switching to growers pellets from the layers mash they came with, and changing to the new grit their digestion has settled down (so properly digested grass/greens, no 'blood') and the hen I was worried about seems much happier: tail not drooping, much more energetic, cheeky. So a good result. Thank you for all the advice and hand-holding!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh that’s fab news!! So pleased.

The gastro grit arrived (I bought a double pack with seeds too) and I have never seen them so interested in grit!! I had to refill the coop cup yesterday 🤣🙈 I’m now wondering if there’s such a thing as too much grit!! The seeds also seemed popular! 

Completely with you on the 'is too much grit a thing' question 😂 A week or so in, however, they do seem to have calmed down and don't munch it quite so much. I think mine must have recognised a deficiency and were making up for lost grit-eating time?

4 hours ago, HRJ said:

Completely with you on the 'is too much grit a thing' question 😂 A week or so in, however, they do seem to have calmed down and don't munch it quite so much. I think mine must have recognised a deficiency and were making up for lost grit-eating time?

I wouldn’t have thought mine had a deficiency. Only basing that on age, they free range half the day and seem super healthy at the mo. Maybe though. Looked just now and it needs topped up again 🙈🙈 Hopefully they will calm down or I might have to ration it!! 

42 minutes ago, eggysoldiers said:

I wouldn’t have thought mine had a deficiency. Only basing that on age, they free range half the day and seem super healthy at the mo. Maybe though. Looked just now and it needs topped up again 🙈🙈 Hopefully they will calm down or I might have to ration it!! 

Mine did the same - went mad at first, then slowed up and are now eating it a bit more than they did with regular mixed grit, but not excessively. If you are concerned, you codul try taking the pot out every couple of/alternate days

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, eggysoldiers said:

That’s reassuring.... I’ll leave them a bit longer and see how they go. At least they enjoy it I guess!

i also bought their super seeds which seem a hit 

I bought both of these too to give them a try.

My girls also went bonkers for the grit. There actually isn't much of the original little packet left so I am going to order them a bigger bag, now I know they like it.

And, for the first time in a good few days, Molly actually laid an egg with a proper shell.

Before this grit, they had a pot of little grit and a grub full of big grit but nothing much ever happens to them.

Thanks Dogmother for recommending The Little Feed Company 😊

3 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

I bought both of these too to give them a try.

My girls also went bonkers for the grit. There actually isn't much of the original little packet left so I am going to order them a bigger bag, now I know they like it.

And, for the first time in a good few days, Molly actually laid an egg with a proper shell.

Before this grit, they had a pot of little grit and a grub full of big grit but nothing much ever happens to them.

Thanks Dogmother for recommending The Little Feed Company 😊

You're welcome, the lovely Hermione from The Little Feed Company will be supplying Gastro-Grit to my webshop.... when I find the time to set it up!!!! Being back at work has really scuppered my plans! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Just wondering if I should leave my girls with their other selections of grit that they have or take them away and just give them the Gourmet grit ?

It's just that I saw Gemma tucking into the tiny grit today.

I’ve mixed some of the “tiny” grit in with the gastro grit in case they still wanted it.... Mine are still going through the fancy stuff at an alarming rate.... Although I am now suspecting some is being turned out on the floor in search of “yum” 

Mine don't seem to be gobbling it up too much now, but they are doing a lot of free ranging at the moment (as my husband and teenager children are still at home all day) and so I suspect they are picking up plenty of lovely things from the garden they can access!