Tigernatz

Worms in chickens poo

Just today I noticed that in my eldest chickens poo there were these tiny worms they were super duper tiny. But there were a few wriggling around. We wormed the ladies a month ago. And then recently my dad got worming pellets instead of regular pellets. So they are now being wormed again for no apparent reason. So they should definitely not have worms, right? So what are these tiny worms in my hens poo? Can someone please respond ASAP 

Edited by Tigernatz

You could send a sample off to Westgate Labs for analysis.  That will tell you what they are and if you need to worm again.  Sometimes people use herbal products like Vermex which is a gut conditioner not a wormer.  For that you need Flubenvet.  But in your case, I’d get a poo analysis.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricia W said:

You could send a sample off to Westgate Labs for analysis.  That will tell you what they are and if you need to worm again.  Sometimes people use herbal products like Vermex which is a gut conditioner not a wormer.  For that you need Flubenvet.  But in your case, I’d get a poo analysis.  

Agreed, use a Westgates kit to see what the problem is before you proceed; once you have an idea of the worm load you'll know how to proceed. Flubenvet's manufacturers recommend that a heavy wormload should be tackled by worming once, leaving a gap of 3 weeks before repeating. During each session, the birds should be fed the medicated pellets and nothing else, and restricted to the run. Ideally you should also treat the litter in their run with Nettex's Ground Sanitising Powder to prevent the growth of intestinal worm eggs, which would encourage re-infestation. I time worming (if needed) with a run clear-out so that they have a clean slate going forward.

• Like 1