Chickenlover85

Can you rehome a mycoplasma chicken?

Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get some guidance on whether it's ever possible to rehome a chicken with diagnosed mycoplasma? I bought "Popcorn' the hen a few weeks ago and noticed within less than 24 hours that she was showing w "gaping" breathing behaviour and foamy eyes. She's been given a course of medicine and seems to be doing a bit better but as I've kept her quarantined since she came on to my property, I'm nervous about introducing her to my other 3 girls who are all very much pets.

I know a lot of the advice suggests I cull her but I also realise that hens can pick up mycoplasma from their environment, wild birds, etc and I'd really like her to go to a good home if this infection, although chronic, isn't a death sentence. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could find someone with a flock already carrying mycoplasma who'd be willing to take her? I'd be more than happy to gift her to someone and they don't need to pay as long as they can provide a happy home to her. She's a very sweet girl and it would break my heart to euthanise her if she could have a long life with another flock. On the flip side, I hate seeing how anxious she is being quarantined for so long and I don't want this to be her life on and off. Thanks so much!

Hi there, 

I'm just wondering what you ended up doing with your mycoplasma infected hen in the end? 

I've ended up with two young birds, a hen and a roo, both who have mycoplasma. The hen developed skin cancer and things aren't looking great for her atm. I'm starting to wonder what best to do for the roo if she doesn't make it as he'd be on his own. 

Ideas I've come up with so far:

1) rehome him to a flock already carrying mycoplasma would be ideal 

2) get more hens and vaccinate them for mycoplasma before bringing them in as his flock... I've been advised by vets that vaccinations are not a 100% guarantee so this is a risky option

3) get another animal as company for him that can't contract mycoplasma but could live in his environment... perhaps a rabbit or guinea pig? does anyone have any experience with these guys co existing

4) he lives out the rest of his life with human company/alone

Anyone with any further advice or ideas please get in touch!

On 8/20/2021 at 8:01 PM, Jen1989 said:

Hi there, 

I'm just wondering what you ended up doing with your mycoplasma infected hen in the end? 

I've ended up with two young birds, a hen and a roo, both who have mycoplasma. The hen developed skin cancer and things aren't looking great for her atm. I'm starting to wonder what best to do for the roo if she doesn't make it as he'd be on his own. 

Ideas I've come up with so far:

1) rehome him to a flock already carrying mycoplasma would be ideal 

2) get more hens and vaccinate them for mycoplasma before bringing them in as his flock... I've been advised by vets that vaccinations are not a 100% guarantee so this is a risky option

3) get another animal as company for him that can't contract mycoplasma but could live in his environment... perhaps a rabbit or guinea pig? does anyone have any experience with these guys co existing

4) he lives out the rest of his life with human company/alone

Anyone with any further advice or ideas please get in touch!

Maybe consider taking ex battery hens? They often are vaccinated, but don’t live for ages. So you would be able to start a “clean” flock in a few years time, but give some ladies a great life in the meantime.