Flo

Can my chickens understand me??

A very funny things happened this morning. I made the girls some porridge, which they love and they got stuck into it straight away. George noticed that Luci hadn't eaten all of hers so I went over to her and said "Luci you haven't finished your porridge" to which she looked up and then tucked in again as if she had understood perfectly what I had said!

Clever chicken, crazy owner?! I'm sure I'm not the only one to talk to their chickens...?

Flo

i talk to my 2, and my reluctant OH that is being won round by how cute and friendly they are even talks to them - if he gets home and i've let them out in the garden they're usually lurking near the back door and he goes straight out there to say hi to them!! then he wanders round the garden with the girls following him round :D and to think he didn't want them at first!!

actually the other day a friend said take photos of them so we could show our kids one day, but i can't see that we'd ever not keep chickens now, I can see us having them forever I love having them they're so great

I've always talked to mine.

June knows the word NO

& will stop what she's doing if you tell her off. I'm trying to teach this to the new girls as they keep jumping up on the stair gate I installed at the back door. It's meant to keep them out of the kitchen & it worked for the others, but the newbies take no notice.

Os is often found having a chat to them...........On Friday I overheard him asking them 'Now what have you been up to today?' in a voice that suggested he expected an answer :oops:

& he was the one who wasn't keen at first.........he's totally into them :lol:

I natter to mine all the time while I'm working in the garden as they're foraging - they seem to be chattering back too.....I'm not an expert in chicken language but I know when they're saying 'LET US OUT!!!!!' when I walk past their run! :D And they seem to understand when I say "come on girls - what's this then?" (or maybe it's the sound of me shaking the cup of corn that they understand...... :?:lol: )

oh that's so sweet they calm down to singing!! I wish mine would sit on my lap, they're letting us stroke them more now, and my OH grabs them once a day for a hold and they get some corn while they're being held but I don't think they are that keen, definitely wouldn't come over to be picked up lets put it that way!!

My secret to getting them to sit happily on my lap is to sit down at their level to get them used to it at first.

When we had nice grass, I sat on the lawn with my legs strtched out in front of me and I hand fed sweetcorn to them. Then I put the corn on my leg. They learned to jump up onto my legs and eat with no fear. I did this with Audrey & June. Adrey was quite happy to be picked up after a while, but June is still not too keen.

With Mini & Emmy I did the same, but on the kitchen floor :lol: with rasins & I've done the same with the two new girls. I don't know what it is with ex Battery girls, but they are much keener for cuddles. After a 6 months Mini took to jumping onto my lap all on her own. Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting on the garden bench & Alison jumped up onto my lap all on her own. She's only been here two weeks so I was very pleased :D

I chat to mine all the time - the battery girls now follow me around from inside their run so they must understand me! Plus, I wanted them to get used to the sound of my voice. OH always talks to the girls and thinks I don't hear him 'Hello girls how have you been today?' :roll:

The battery girls have been with us for just over a week now but are now eating sweetcorn from my hand (now that the other girls have shown them it is Ok to eat!!) :?