Lewis

Wooden Walk in Runs

Hey guys, we've had our Walk in Run for 10 years now and the panels could do with replacing anyway but the whole garden is being redone so the chickens are being moved.

I used to sell housing so have a pretty good idea of the runs available and know what I don't want, but am struggling to find what I do want - most of the companies I have previously loved (Aviaries4U, Wells etc) aren't trading anymore. I know I want wooden, weldmesh and a solid roof - clear plastic or Onduline.

I'm looking to have a 6 x 2.5metre wooden run built, either out of panels or bespoke. It will need a couple of hatches for the Cube to butt up to and an automatic door to let them free range.
Does anyone have any recommendations of companies they have used recently and ideally photos of your run too! :D 

Sadly, the like of Tony from Aviaries4u seems to have disappeared.   Some people seem to have bought metal frames ones and replaced the chicken wire by weldmesh. I know when I replace my Omlet WIR, I’m going to get a local carpenter to make me a bespoke one.  I shall specify Weldmesh etc, but I think it’s the only way.   I’d be very interested if anyone has found another source.  

We used the Chicken House Company in 2018 for a bespoke run.

https://thechickenhousecompany.co.uk/pages/contact-us

Bit pricey because it was bespoke. At the time we were regional co-ordinators for BHWT so we were keen to have a bit we could easily section off for incoming or ill hens and the only way to do that was bespoke.

The best things about it are the stable doors and that the sectioned off bit has its own front door as well as internal doors that can be propped open when not in use. We should have allowed more width in the sectioned off bit as it’s a bit tight to manoeuvre an Eglu in there and clean it in situ. It is possible just tight, but that was our mistake. 

10B5F37C-CAE7-4AB0-A309-0661D624E943.jpeg

6E352F61-55ED-4FB0-8B3B-35A6CEBCCD53.jpeg

A8C7803E-CB21-415F-A341-52F5204B31C4.jpeg

• Like 2

Great to hear positive about The Chicken House Company @Lydia as they are on my shortlist along with Jim Vyse and 4wire.

I did message a few local carpenters last week but no-one's replied 🙄 I think as the 'proper' housing companies buy in bulk they get cheaper weldmesh and they've already made the mistakes building their first few runs! We have someone building a workshop and summerhouse so I'll see if they can do it or know someone.

Still not decided upon a design or found anyone to build it for us but the groundwork has been done.

The parents and landscape gardener changed it completely without telling me so I don’t like the practicalities :roll: but what can you do!

Greenhouse will be in front and chickens behind, it’s nearly a 4m square rather than long which we currently have - hidden on the right hand side of the photo

17506D6A-1287-4CAA-B060-6FB3DE5269A1.jpeg

• Like 2

Parents!  They never cease to amaze you, no matter how old you (and they) are!

Lovely garden Lewis, I always hankered after something squarish, both my gardens in the UK were long and thin.   I hope you get something suitable soonish, it must be frustrating (although understandable) like so much this year.