clucker1

Poo Compost Advice

To date I’ve put chicken poo in our compost which also has vegetable and garden waste matter. Does anyone keep it separate ie would it be better for my garden to separate it and use like the chicken pellets you can buy from the garden centre? Just thinking about my roses and plants.

Chicken Poo in the compost bin makes the most fantastic compost.

No need to separate it as the poo acts as an activator, I used to throw everything in, the wood chip, the newspaer from the droppings tray - the wood chip and newspaper  are woody (lignified) matter which you need as well as green stuff. Sadly since my last girls were taken by a fox my compost has been far inferior.

Chicken poo on its own is too strong and needs to be diluted with ordinary matter and well composted. We are producing ours ( about 500 litres a year) mixed at 1:5 (or more) by weight. At the moment we have too much poo and may have to keep a separate store for later in the year when we have more garden waste.