I mention this in case it's helpful & I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but our 2 new hens couldn't get the hang of the ladder (the original 2 took to it with no bother). We tried putting a log at the bottom to give them a helping leg up, but that confused them further. Today we've covered the rungs in lengths of that stiff grey pipe lagging & that's done the trick as they can get a grip on it. This was the first evening since we got them that the other half hasn't to squeeze into the run to bundle them into the run.

Janet

ps. Why is the run door quite so small?

Thanks, I'll do that. And just an update - other half had to go back into the run today to cover the foam with duck tape as the new hens were pecking at & apparently eating bits of foam. He used the silver tape so it looks quite fetching & hens still used the ladder easily. I hope this is the last time he has to go in there, at least for this problem.

our hens weren't that sure the first night and it was completely dark before they all managed to get in. The next morning they didn't come out and we actually opened up the back of the eglu at midday and walked them round the front to put them in the run as we were worried they hadn't had any water! The next day they were fine though - went to bed at dusk and came out in the morning.

My girls sort of managed the ladder, but Arrietty (my disabled Orp with wonky legs) had no chance. So I made something that I thought she could manage which I fastened to the ladder - it didn't work.

So I made another, shallower angle, ramp, out of a scaffolding plank. She copes with it and the others love it. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job

2035861084_473235421e.jpg

2035860870_1c71b5c6ea.jpg