Sheena2021

Broody Pekin pullet

Hi All

we got our gorgeous pekins 4 weeks ago one  had just started laying. And she has now gone broody! We were not sure as first but then the signs of her not leaving the nesting box, looking like a flat feather pancake and loosing some of her feathers. So after a week of keep removing her from nest box, closing the door to nest box etc (in hindsight prob left her to long) we got a broody cage (dog crate with wire mesh bottom), have had her in this raised off the ground with food water and we did pop a roosting bar in for her for three nights 2 days. I attempted to let her out and she scratched about, pecked a little but then went back to the nesting box in her usual spot!

my question- how do we know when she has stopped brooding? Will she just not bother with the nesting box/coop, or is that a place of comfort for her she will go to because she has been locked up? I don’t know how long to keep her locked up for! (First time

chicken keeper, first time dealing with broodiness!!)

thanks all

sheena

Some will just take longer to break from brooding than others. The broody cluck is a good indicator, although my Truus is still broody clucking but came of the nest a week and half ago. Too much interest in the nesting box is also a good one to look out for. 

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

Some will just take longer to break from brooding than others. The broody cluck is a good indicator, although my Truus is still broody clucking but came of the nest a week and half ago. Too much interest in the nesting box is also a good one to look out for. 

Thanks for the reply. When I’ve let her out she has taken herself back to the nest box pretty promptly and will barge anyone else in her favourite spot! She isn’t making much fuss in the cage though. Feel a bit mean keeping her in there but she is just heading straight back to the coop/nest box when we let her out! 
I also don’t want to keep her out of the nesting box incase she does need to lay…. Although unlikely given her recent broodiness I assume! 

Some of my Pekins have taken 7 days to stop being broody.

Unfortunately, you will have to start the broody cage again.

I hate putting them in the cage, but it has to be done.

If they really need to lay an egg, they will lay it in the broody cage.

Don't let them trick you into thinking that because they laid an egg, they are no longer broody, they are masters of deception.

• Haha 1