Leicester_H

PAYG Mobile

Hi

I have a PAYG mobile with Virgin Media - I top up about £10 a year (only use occasionally, mainly have for safety if car breaks down etc).

Virgin are stopping this option - so looking for alternative. Want to keep number as so many things send security codes to phone these days.

Thought I'd found one - 1p - but have to top up £10 every 120 days.

Anyone recommend an alternative please ?

Thanks, H

I have an EE PAYG which was switched automatically from Orange when they stopped the service. As far as I am aware there is no requirement to top it up regularly, but it is very expensive to use from France, which I do, so top up £20 every 6 months or so. That's done via my EE internet account.

When I went into the shop in England to change it before it was switched they said I needed a new SIM card but could definitely keep my old number. The new micro SIM needed an adaptor for my old phone which I had to pay £10 for, so didn't bother. But like you I must keep that number for security codes.

• Like 1

Just had another text from Virgin saying that they will NOT refund my remaining credit!!!

OH thinks this is OK (I must have agreed to it!) BUT it's them who say my SIM will stop working on 11th Jan - THEY are changing the terms of the contract (I assume they want me to switch to a monthly plan) so I don't think its fair to keep my money.

Your views ?

H

On 10/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, Leicester_H said:

Just had another text from Virgin saying that they will NOT refund my remaining credit

That is the case with all mobile providers in the UK. 

Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions state: 

No refund: If you don’t use all of the credit in any Top Up that you purchase, or such Top Up expires (if applicable) then we will not give you a refund for it.

Annoying, but nothing you can do about it unfortunately. 

Edited by Geoid

On 10/12/2021 at 6:18 PM, Geoid said:

That is the case with all mobile providers in the UK. 

Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions state: 

No refund: If you don’t use all of the credit in any Top Up that you purchase, or such Top Up expires (if applicable) then we will not give you a refund for it.

Annoying, but nothing you can do about it unfortunately. 

Agreed technically - BUT I can't continue to use their PAYG as THEY are stopping providing it - they are 'breaking' the agreement, not me! I would have expected a refund as as compensation for having to get a new service provider.

• Sad 1

Via Money saving expert I went with Lebara on a special offer - £4.90 a month (was half price for 3 months first) and get 3gb data and free texts, and phone calls to land lines and also to mobile phones.  Also 100 international minutes free a month.    It piggybacks via Vodaphone - I used to use them as PAYG but could not access internet on the go - now I find its really handy - worth thinking about?