Eggshell

Feather pecking and stress?

Is it possible for a chicken to peck out its own feathers out of stress? My elderly hen Penny (now nearly eight) always used to peck feathers out of my bottom chicken. Bottom chicken died recently and I got a couple of young ones and integrated them after 3 weeks of living side by side; however, they are still choosing to sleep in their separate eglus. In the last couple of weeks or so I’ve noticed a lot of small downy feathers when I open up the eglu of my solitary-sleeping older chicken in the mornings, and it seemed particularly bad after the night of the big fireworks display. I’ve checked her for lice and checked the eglu for red mites and can’t find any signs of either. Could she be doing this because she’s on her own at night and stressed (but not stressed enough to join the two new girls)?

One of mine has plucked her own feathers out VERY badly with her moult this year. I don’t know whether she’s got some sort of parasites (I have treated her with ivermectin now) or if it’s just that she’s been really uncomfortable as the feathers have come through.

Could your Penny be coming into moult?

I don’t think she can still be moulting - she’s already moulted this autumn and seemed to be finished a few weeks ago (unless the tail end of moulting can dribble on for weeks and weeks?). I’m a little wary of forcing them together against their will, because  Penny isn’t the most laid back of chickens and I’m worried that she’ll start pecking the new girls if she doesn’t want them in her eglu, even though things are going well outside - she’s only doing reasonable ‘top chicken’ pecking during the day, but that’s enough to make the new girls a bit wary of her. Not sure if there’s an obvious course of action…