Wh hens

Welsummer or not.

Hi

I'm looking for some new hens 2 I have enrolled legbar hybrid in my go. She is nervous but not extreme nervous I'm considering tge following breeds, welsummer, bantam buff Orpington, a hybrid maran ( lays dark eggs) and an austalorp can people reply with there experiences with those birds I'm especially interested in the welsummer and weather they are bullies. 

I look forward to your replys!

Will

Thank you for that I would love a bantam welsummer but I cannot find one so I will probably get the standard size. I would love a rainbow egg basket. I currently have a legbar that lays blue eggs. I'm looking for two more hens I would like some unusual coloured eggs but the hens must have a good tempermant and lay at least 160 eggs a year it also must be readily available in the UK. Any suggestions?

Hi. i had a Welsummer. She lived with a cornish cream legbar and an orpington and my one remaining ex batt.  She was far calmer than the leg bar and I didnt think she was a bully until i rehomed a Brahma I knew my ex batt would be a problem but the Welsummer joined her. The difference was my ex batt loved a scrap, the Welsummer looked thoroughly upset by it all and made friends quite quickly. She was a nice girl but not overly friendly  

Hi everyone 

In the end I decided on a welsummer and a Wheaton maran they seem OK the welsummer seems the most docile the maran seems shy and my small legvar hybrid seems to be on top they have not started to lay yet and I look forward to when they do. This is one of my first forum posts and I'm so so happy with all the replies. So thank yiu very much.

I again thank you for your replys. 

Will

Ps I have attached the picture of the new hens ( they are camera shy)

IMG-20220110-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20220110-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20220110-WA0008.jpeg

• Like 1