AndyRoo

Happy new year & hello!

Hello again all,

Happy new year! How is everyone? I seem to be really busy at the moment with work, so I'm not getting a lot of time to check in.

I've also had some major life news which has rocked my entire family: we discovered through an Ancestry DNA test that my father is, in fact, not my biological father at all and that my mother must have cheated. So that was a fun thing to discover - right in time for my 40th birthday and Christmas too. I'm trying to take it all in my stride, but it has been a lot to take in at once. I'm now in a process of trying to figure out who that man must be really, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever know for sure.

Families, eh?

The good news is the hens are all good and we now have 14 of the little terrors. As always, the friendliest of the bunch is the little red hen who I have nicknamed Lady Penelope, who always seems to come running over for cuddles. Bless!

Hope all is well with everyone,

Andy

It most certainly was a shock. It blindsided all of us, even though my father had tentatively suggested she may have cheated before which was why there was a break up of their marriage.

I thought I'd posted pictures of their new home? I'll have to take some more when the weather has turned a little bit nicer.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:50 PM, AndyRoo said:

I've also had some major life news which has rocked my entire family: we discovered through an Ancestry DNA test that my father is, in fact, not my biological father at all and that my mother must have cheated.

Bloody hell! That’s quite something to discover. I’m assuming you’ve double checked the test result? I hope it doesn’t change your family dynamic too much (assuming it was good in the first place).

On 1/11/2022 at 11:50 PM, AndyRoo said:

we now have 14 of the little terrors. As always, the friendliest of the bunch is the little red hen who I have nicknamed Lady Penelope,

I have a Penelope. Well actually it’s Penny but I always call her Penelope Pit Stop. She’s a 9 year old silver laced Wyandotte bantam and I think nearing the end of her days but she was top chicken for a long time and has a thing for jacket potatoes and selfies. 

Some photos of your gang would be nice. Hope you’re OK and not too freaked out by your news x

0366CEA6-A9E2-4FAB-AD07-0D2E378569E0.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, AndyRoo said:

I thought I'd posted pictures of their new home? I'll have to take some more when the weather has turned a little bit nicer.

You might have done and I could have missed them.

I'm sure last I saw you only had a few girls and that everything wasn't quite finished - could just be my memory of course :lol:

I remember posting some pics of the new enclosure and hutch, but maybe I didn't post any of the girls in situ.; once DEFRA has lifted the current restrictions, I'll have to take some pics. I need to get the gardener to re-turf their new pen. I was going to plant some herb shrubs in there for them to peck at casually once it was done.

The result was definitely a bit of a shock to us all - but we had it confirmed with a legal paternity test, so there's no doubt about it. It's quite a weird place to be in mentally as he and I had always had quite a strained relationship and estranged relationship. Apparently he had considered the possibility on a multitude of occasions because he never felt I looked anything like him, which I don't, but I guess we'd all just assumed that was down to the fact I looked so much more like my mother.

It has revealed some interesting new bits, though. I have a very close genetic match to a girl with links to the areas that my mother does - and also very close links to a family in Ireland I'd never heard of either, but whom this girl is also related to. So it would rather suggest my biological father was Irish or with very strong connections to Ireland. Time will tell, I guess. I have a few people trying to figure out possible contenders for the bio-father, but based on my own narrowing down of possible candidates, it would rather suggest they're all dead anyway - so I will likely never know.

• Like 1

Hi Andy sorry you've had such a difficult time. I take it mum isn't around to ask who your dad is? Or isn't forthcoming. OH did  the swab thing for ancestry UK and it came up with 5th and 6th cousins. Hes a Cypriot Brit so his ancestry was far flung. We did find his mum now long deceased had 3 different names which caused major confusion- I did say he and his 2 brothers may have all had a different mum all with same first name. I haven't done mine yet. It will, be boringly British I am sure. 

BTW I have a Penny too named after a grandmother of OH.