Newbie Hennie

Chickens heads turning purple/blue

Please help! I have 6 chickens for over 2 months now and all happily laying. (In Ireland) I have them in the omlet eglo. Recently I’ve notice this purple patch on the top of her head and a bit in her comb and starting on the others. They are behaving like their normal happy chickens despite this but I’m concerned. A friend and long term chicken owner tells me it’s from the cold and the 'plastic coop' is too cold for them. (I hope this is not true) (Photos below) Thanks for your help.

1244343483_IMG_53812.jpg

1013374144_IMG_53822.jpg

1624981085_IMG_53832.jpg

I haven't seen anything like that before, but to me it looks as though something dark blue is dripping on their heads? It could be condensation in the coop and mould growth as a result. Check inside the roof of the coop; wipe it over with a piece of kitchen roll.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, Beantree said:

I haven't seen anything like that before, but to me it looks as though something dark blue is dripping on their heads? It could be condensation in the coop and mould growth as a result. Check inside the roof of the coop; wipe it over with a piece of kitchen roll.

No, definitely not, they are in a brand new omlet and within a fenced area to keep them safe. There is a bit of blue in their comb also. I clean the coop every day so it really is a mystery. Thanks for your reply.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, Cat tails said:

It certainly doesn’t look like frostbite, which mostly affects the comb itself and not the head.

Thanks for your response, there is a bit of blue in the comb also, it really is very strange. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, mullethunter said:

It looks like something sprayed / colour somehow transferred onto them to me too.

It really is a mystery. there is no possible way this could have happened - in a brand new omlet, cleaned everyday and within a fenced area. They are otherwise happy hens, laying and all good but this blue on their heads it's very strange.

Hi Lewis, they use a treadle feeder that is galvanised and I use an electric fence to keep them safe in the area. They are doing well, the area that was purple has lost feathers and is no longer coloured. I'm assuming they will grown back. I still haven't figured out what caused it.