Lovemychooks

Wet Layers Mash

I was just looking on the BHWT website and came across a link for chicken houses and have just read that if you put water with layers mash then it goes sour if it's left. I didn't know that :?

This is what was written "feed layers mash dry. Because it's called mash, you do not add water to create that mashed potato look. Water soon turns the mash sour and the hens won't eat it, besides they eat dry bits and pieces they find while scratching, it's normal".

I had to ask that question before we got our hens as the term 'mash' made me unsure whether to feed wet or dry.

Also, I thought the 'layers' bit meant you spread it out in layers or that it came in layers (like a cake!)

That was many moons ago when I was a green and wet behind the ears chicken keeper, now I am a total authority! And if you believe that, go and mix some water with your mash!

right, I'm now joining 'The Campaign For Plain English! ;):lol:

It should be called, "Powdery, crushed varieties of grains (also containing other stuff, see ingredients) to be fed to chickens that lay eggs"

anyone with me?

:shock:

Or are they ".......formed into a small cylindrical shape...." :think:

that would be pellets! Unless you're examining the grains under a microscope and then I think you would find the surface quite uneven and not cylindrical at all :doh::D

Right, I really neeed to go and do something more useful instead!!!!!

TTFN

x

Or are they ".......formed into a small cylindrical shape...." :think:

that would be pellets! Unless you're examining the grains under a microscope and then I think you would find the surface quite uneven and not cylindrical at all :doh::D

Right, I really neeed to go and do something more useful instead!!!!!

TTFN

x

:? I meant it as the plain english version for the pellets. :)