JayBee

Bantam friends for an Amber Star

Hi,

I have one lovely lone Amber Star hen. She is a super friendly bird who we are all very fond of. I would like to get 3 little bantams to pop in with her. But am worried she might pick on them. We particularly like the Sablepoot, and Faverolles but have heard that they can be particularly vulnerable to being picked on. What are peoples views on how possible this is with gradual introductions? We have are 3m by 4m run with regular access to the garden (under supervision to avoid total decimation of the veg patch 🤣).

Not sure why you would want bantams @JayBee; they can be quite aggressive to large fowl. Why not just get two more pol hybrids? You will at least get some eggs. Your Amber Star, being older and on her own territory, will assume dominance and be very happy with the new company.

Sablepoots are very small and their massive foot feathers can make it difficult for them to run away if they’re being bullied.

Im afraid I don’t really know anything about faverolles.

I have a maran bantam who is actually quite big - I’d say she’s the same size as most hybrids and she lays lovely dark speckled eggs.

My Wyandotte bantams are a reasonable size too and quite feisty.

To be honest though if it’s going to be 3 against 1, most breeds would probably be OK. 

Let us know what you decide.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, Beantree said:

Not sure why you would want bantams @JayBee; they can be quite aggressive to large fowl. Why not just get two more pol hybrids? You will at least get some eggs. Your Amber Star, being older and on her own territory, will assume dominance and be very happy with the new company.

I think because fabulous as my lovely Amber Star is. Bantams are a little like sweets. You know you probably shouldn't... But, maybe just one more...

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:24 PM, mullethunter said:

Sablepoots are very small and their massive foot feathers can make it difficult for them to run away if they’re being bullied.

Im afraid I don’t really know anything about faverolles.

I have a maran bantam who is actually quite big - I’d say she’s the same size as most hybrids and she lays lovely dark speckled eggs.

My Wyandotte bantams are a reasonable size too and quite feisty.

To be honest though if it’s going to be 3 against 1, most breeds would probably be OK. 

Let us know what you decide.

Thank you, 

What are the Wyandottes like temperament wise?

I suppose hybrid bantams are another option to mull over as well... 

I will keep you posted on decisions and how the eventual introductions! 

After making many mistakes, I now abide by the mantra of buying new birds of similar shape, size and temperament as the ones I already have.  That makes for easier integration, and lessens the risk of ending up with two flocks.  There are so many lovely breeds it’s tempting to act like a child in a sweet shop, but best to be sensible.  

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:33 PM, JayBee said:

What are the Wyandottes like temperament wise?

Mine have been reasonably feisty. When I first got them they were 18 months old and I had them with 2 10 week old pekins who they bullied mercilessly for months. After that they did settle down but remained one and two in command for the next 7 years as new girls were added to the flock. It was only when they were 8 years old and a young Plymouth Rock bantam joined the flock that the Wyandottes were moved down a peg.

They’ve never like to be handled but as long as I’m not trying to catch them they’ve never been flighty and are mostly fairly calm. I lost the top one, Penny at the age of 9 earlier this year, her sister Amy is still with us.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:14 AM, Cat tails said:

I only have one wyandotte and she is pretty spicy too. She already has been broody this year and will scream absolute murder when I try and handle her.

She isn’t my number one, but I think only because my New Hampshire is a tad bigger.

Thank you, maybe not quite so child friendly then? The children and I do enjoy hand feeding our hens and pottering around the garden with them.