Hippie Chick

Avian Flu Mandatory Housing Measures to End in the UK

Flockdown is over from the 2nd May 2022.  Biosecurity is still important but chickens and other poultry can start to free range again.  

Update 25 April 2022

The UK Chief Veterinary Officers have announced that the mandatory housing measures for poultry and captive birds will be lifted across the UK from 00:01 on Monday 2 May 2022. The Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) will remain in force across the UK until further notice, with only the housing measures component being lifted from 00:01 on the 2 May 2022. This means all bird keepers (whether they have pet birds, a commercial or a backyard flock) must continue to take effective and precautionary biosecurity measures until further notice.

While the risk levels have reduced infection may still be present in the environment. All bird keepers should take proactive measures to prepare outside areas in advance the lifting of the housing measures. See our guidance on the proactive steps you should take before the 2 May 2022 to prepare for when your birds can be let outside again to reduce the risk to your birds.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, Cat tails said:

Interesting. As we’ve had the largest number of outbreaks in the Netherlands yet. Right in the heart of poultry country, near Barneveld.

My understanding is that quite a few number of concerns and complaints were raised about the extended nature of the ban. Maybe that influenced it.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, mullethunter said:

Hooray hooray hooray!!!!!

I haven’t done much research of my own but from what I’ve read, most of the outbreaks in the UK have stemmed from poor biosecurity in commercial premises rather than links to wild birds / backyard flocks.

You lucky UK birds! 😜

I’m not counting on anything coming month.