Citychick

Chicken Snacks

Okay who suggested grapes, I just nearly lost my fingers :D

We gave the girls a grape each Friday and caused mayhem. They were both running up and down the run chasing whoever had the piece of grape and ignoring the grape on the ground. Watching little Ruby belting up th run with half a grape hanging from her beak was so funny :lol: it's the first time she's stood up to Maddy over food, even sweetcorn.

Anyway when we came to give treats today they were pecking at our fingers as we tried to open the run. Ruby is quite gentle but Maddy is a bit of a thug, ouch!

Oaky banana went down well, it's easier to break pieces off and throw them down the run :D Ruby loved hers so much she didn't realise she walked out of the run. That's the next scary bit for me, "free ranging" we have too many foxes for it to happen much poor girls but at least I now know how to get them back in the run

I just had to try the grapes and banannas ( not sure about bananna spelling -sorry).

It was great fun!The grapes won hands down over the banannas.I don't think I've seen them quite so excited.They were tripping over each other and even the ,usually, mild mannered Clary got in there!

So if you feel in need of a little entertainment bring out the grapes. :lol:

(green eglu) Kim

GNR Mrs.Frisby

PP Clary

If you think that is exciting try maggots they go absolutely crazy and they are good for clearing impacted crop.

There is a topic on the forum all about it, I don't think many people fancied trying it they are very wiggly................................ :lol::lol::lol:

My girls like bio yogurt mixed with oats at the moment even Bunty ate them today the bio natural yogurt helps to stop runny poo's as well so mine get it every morning. :D

I have found the grapes and sweetcorn tips have really helped ours to trust us early on and get close to us, as they cannot resist the food even when it is in our hands. But I haven't seen anyone mention seasame seeds - I had some left over from a seeded loaf and thought I try them on the chooks - they went mad pecking away at all the little seeds in my hand. I have bought some especially for them now !

Hi Snowcloud, I give my girls a scoop of mixed bird seed about once a week and there are sunflower seeds in that but not too many and they eat them with the shell on. I think there are a few seeds they don't like in it but the wild birds soon hoover that up when I move the run 8) That way they don't get too many of the really fattening seeds even though they eat the ones they like first as they don't get much they then clear most of the rest up

Ellie has not been hand fed until today. Carl fed her sweetcorn which she loved - then she bit his hand and drew blood! Then she crept under the garden seats and bit Lauren on the bum! :? Not the best of behaviour :roll:

Lesley,

After reading this I'm getting worried about sitting on my bench now! My two seem to like being underneath the bench and now I know why!

Hello all,

I give my girls growers pellets and chick crumb in the morning (they are only 10 weeks only) and sweetcorn and chard or spinach leaves in the afternoon. I also give them a bowl of chick crumb and growers pellets mixed up with bio yoghurt or cottage cheese each day - is it okay to give hens yohgurt and cottage cheese on such a regular basis :?: Also one of my (otherwise perfectly healthy) girls has runny poop - do you think there is such a thing as too much sweetcorn :?::?: I am going to try raisens tomorrow - they also seem to be a firm favorite with your girls .... will let you know how I get on.

Hi Nicole, I give mine natural bio yoghurt mixed with oats everyday so I don't think it will do them any harm........It may be too much spinach and chard that is giving them the poops but keep an eye on them incase it is something else, cut down on the veg and see if it stops.............Keep posting and let us know how you get on......... :D

Not sure that this is the right thread really, not exactly a snack, & definitely not planned, but I was sitting in the garden yesterday, having a rest and cup of tea, only to hear a chickeny noise next to me. Onion, slurping luke warm tea :roll::roll:

Fortunately redbush tea, so no caffeine (can't cope with idea of hyper chooks) and limited tannin, also no sugar, but surely tea can't be good for her :? she liked it though, kept coming back for more until I threw the remnants on the grass, hoping to deter her. No such luck, she just went pecking in that area :roll:

Maybe I'm just lucky that it wasn't later when I sat outside with a glass of wine :):)

:shock::shock::D:D

I love wandering outside for a couple of minutes with a drink or snack in between work. Now I have to stop & think, is it something I'm prepared to share? Answer usually no! :wink:

So today I ate a piece of cake in the kitchen & took coffee outside but held the cup with both hands the whole time. Sorry girls. :roll: But it was lovely chatting to them while I drank it. :D

Nice to get loads of ideas for chicken treats although mine are not that mad on sweetcorn. I think they must be the only ones. Does anyone know what is really bad for them as I would hate to give them something which makes them ill. I know they should not eat meat but other than that I am rather ignorant.