Citychick

Chicken Snacks

DEFRA says they mustn't eat meat. Mine are extremely carnivorous regarding slugs, snails, worms, insects etc - infact anything that is small and packed full of protein. Some hens have had a go at small frogs.

I decided that if organic meat was good enough for me and my family then it is good enough for my girls - so they get tiny s"Ooops, word censored!"s cut up very small - HUGE treat that elicits the most excited squeaking noises from the girls.

When I used to keep hens back in the 60's to 80's we used to feed them everything except citrus peel and raw potato peelings - but they do like these cooked till soft and fed warm mixed with mash and fish trimmings (pick out all the bones though). As you can guess we were on a tight budget. They like things either small enough to peck up or fastened down somehow so they can peck at it without it moving away. I hang up cabbages and weeds in bundles and they have a good go at them.

The only thing apart from things that are supposed to be poisonous like rhubarb leaves (see previous thread about poisonous plants) to be careful of is throwing in cut grass. Grass of any length is fine if not cut and the hens just 'graze' on it but one of the contributing factors to the rare condition of a blocked crop may be long strands of grass. These get tangled up and form a ball with everything else in the crop and the ball is too big to pass on through the system.

ps - if you are a gardener you'll be delighted to hear that hens adore vine weevil grubs - just put infected soil/compost infront of them and they'll clear it completely of the offending grubs so you can safely reuse it :D

On the subject of grubs, I have a problem in my garden with chafer grubs. To see how they look you can try the link below, sorry for the ads, but they had good pictures ...

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/chafer.htm

... anyway, you don't need the products they offer here, just add chickens ! Mine LOVE these grubs. I get them not just in the lawn, but also in the vegetable patches and so when I dig they are always knocking about trying to see if I toss them any grubs. They can be quite big too, over an inch in length and quite hard and meaty, but the girls really like them, even more than worms, which I don't like feeding to them as they are so good for the soil (unlike the grubs)!

So keep an eye out for those chafer grubs ...

Thanks for your tips. I could not really understand why they could not have any meat as they are eating all sorts in the garden. Ant eggs are their favourite but they like catching flies as well. They spend most of their time scratching around for bugs. I try not to give them worms as my soil is really heavy and needs them. I gave them a peach this morning which was going soft - is that ok - they seem to love it but I don't want to make them ill. :?

I have tried our girls on loads of things, including the usual lettuce and cabbage (any brassica they really like), but also apples, pears, grapes (which they fight over - it's their current favourite (or is that currant favourite? :wink: )), even mango (they were a bit unsure about that one) and cucumber.

I had to net up my raspberry canes as they were eating all the new leaves, and they love lupins !! It seems that if there is anything they don't like, it gets a quick peck to check and then they leave it. But of course, like humans, what one likes the other might not be bothered by. Trinny loves slugs but Susannah just ignores them ?

Ours love porridge, muesli, apples, pears, sorrel, raisins, pasta, sweetcorn you'll get mugged for. Unsalted crisps, digestives and marmite on toast. Don't like lettuce, radishes. Love the veggie patch, I've had to cordon it off. Rhubarb and potato plants have took a right bashing.

If we sit outside on the garden bench they'll come running to check if you have food in your hands. If you don't give them some they either jump up beside you or onto you and give you the 'if you don't give it up look, you're going to get it look'. If it's something they like they make this weird happy clucking, purring noise. They're worse than dogs. If you put it on the floor they don't want it, but if it's in your hand they'll take it.

Cheeky beggars

Jules

mine are just the same if they take a lump of cauliflower thats they dont want they throw it on the floor, then i pick it up offer it to them and its now acceptable!! :? how odd?

Ours love porridge, muesli, apples, pears, sorrel, raisins, pasta, sweetcorn you'll get mugged for. Unsalted crisps, digestives and marmite on toast. Don't like lettuce, radishes. Love the veggie patch, I've had to cordon it off. Rhubarb and potato plants have took a right bashing.

If we sit outside on the garden bench they'll come running to check if you have food in your hands. If you don't give them some they either jump up beside you or onto you and give you the 'if you don't give it up look, you're going to get it look'. If it's something they like they make this weird happy clucking, purring noise. They're worse than dogs. If you put it on the floor they don't want it, but if it's in your hand they'll take it.

Cheeky beggars

Jules

Would love to see a Santa Claus chook, get a piccy and plonk it on the web next time it happens.

I've just come off of the chickensuit.com link and couldn't stop laughing. They'd look brilliant dress as Santa.

Mine just like wiping the residue of anything onto your clothes or the grass. Being mucky is not good for their image.

Jules :lol:

I've just refreshed this topic because I was watching my chickens happily polishing off the left over spaghetti after dinner last night, and had a mini panic. They shouldn't be fed grass clippings because if they'd not bitten the grass themselves into beak size portions they could swallow long lengths of grass and that could lead to crop impaction- is that right? Would spaghetti do the same thing if they swallow long lengths, or would it break down before it had a chance to do any damage? Mine were wolfing down great long lengths of it, with obvious glee, but I did find myself wanting to rush out and chop it all up into short lengths. I think I'd have had a chorus of disapproval if I'd tried though :roll:

my girls hate having to go back into the run in the middle of the day, so a small handfull of mixed corn gets them running from anywhere in the garden and in they go.

They both love snails, but they cant break the shells, so i have to crush the shell a little to help them get started.

Has anyone seen a chicken swallow a cherry tomato whole??? My Miss Pepperpot can. whole i tell you!!!

Davin

http://www.guitarbitz.com

Yes mine both swallowed whole cherry tommas yesterday and I thought it was hilarious ... I've only had the girls 3 weeks so I'm still very excited and facinated about the whole feeding treats business so I rushed in to tell the OH how funny they were with their cherry tommas but he was very cross that I'd given them the only two of our tumbling cherry tommas that have ripened so far :roll::roll:

Roast Chicken crisps are vegetarian :lol:

And it was only until recently that the Chesse and Onion ones weren't!

Lady Lucan - I have no idea if the sweetcorn leaves are edible or not, but if the hens don't like them they will leave them. I'd strip the leaves off myself, but I don't think the chooks will find it a problem

On the crisp topic - i noted the other day that Potato Heads Cheese & Onion are still not suitable for Veget'ns even though their regular ones are these days ... why can't they just be consistent :roll::roll:

Because that would be too easy :D We have a similar problem, Paul is Ceoliac (not sure that is spelt right its very early :roll: ) and every time a manufacuterer puts on "new improved recipe" we have to start again on finding out whether its gluten free :roll::roll: - on a good note for the vegetarians our there Bovril "beef stock" is now suitable for veggies :roll:

I'm laid up in bed sick with flu at the moment but can't sleep or concentrate much and the only thing that is keeping me sane is reading this website on my laptop (which I hardly ever get time to do, so it's a treat!) Plus, of course, popping out to see the girls now and again.....

Treats PP Barbie & GNR Hen love: grapes (for which they are likened to junkies looking for a fix) but cut up into small pieces otherwise they swallow them whole or they get stuck in their beaks and then the other one will chase her round the garden to see if she can get it out....porridge oats, porridge with water, lettuce, cabbage, broccolli (especially the stalk, cut real small), apples, spinach, watercress, tomatoes, cress (which keeps them occupied if given in its tray), sweetcorn, ONIONS (yes, onions.....chopped small, which they love), mushrooms, seasame and sunflower seeds, runner beans, broad beans, they ADORE peas in their pods (keeps them amused for ages and active too as they have to run around after the peas as they shoot out of the pod), brussel sprouts, greens, spring onions, Fruseli fruit bars (although they aren't "given" these, just jump and and pinch them if we're having one!) bread, cooked rice (they look so funny afterwards with it stuck to their beaks), spagetti, marrow (yum, yum), courgettes, cucumber, peppers (not too much though), cauliflower (cut small), to name a few! We usually only buy organic food for us and them and I do like to make sure they have spinach 3 to 4 times a week......it's got to be good for them.

Too many grapes cause a riot and a runny bottom though! For entertainment value as a chicken owner, it has to be grapes, rice and peas in their pods that head the league.

I think we've worked it out that the reason our chickens might not eat food which is left on the ground but happily munch on it if you hold it is that it gives them something to "pull" against, whereas the food on the ground may take a lot of energy to break up into smaller chunks and there's nothing to "pull" against, to give some tension, if this makes sense!

It dawned on us the other day that, since we've had the girls (April), we haven't mown the lawn!!!! The girls do that for us. We bought a new mower too...... :?

Oh, and they love the rhubarb plants.....and they know they shouldn't touch them so look to see if we're watching first before taking a dive at them. Smart. 8)

Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good GET WELL SOON Glad you can still manage to force yourself to look at the forum though I believe it is a cure all so you should be feeling better soon........... :lol: Your chooks don't seem fussy at all they like such a lot of food, I also cut up grapes it is frightening to see them gulp a whole grape down........... :lol: