Debbie1962

Poorly chicken

One of my chickens has suddenly become unwell tonight. Lethargic with a strange thing she is doing with her neck it's kind of like a twisting motion. There was also a bit of liquid dripping from her mouth. She wouldn't eat any corn mix I offered her either. She was was fine yesterday having a little potter around the garden and seemed okay during today until now. Obviously if she is still unwell tomorrow I will ring the vets. Any ideas, has anyone seen these symptoms before. Thanks.

Liquid dripping from her beaks sounds like a problem with her crop. Either impacted crop or sour crop. Give her a feel and see how her crop feels. Slushy and very smelly is likely to be sour crop. Very hard ball could be impacted or blocked crop. 

Right I have been out to have a feel and it feels quite squishy and quite large. As I was pressing she started regurging liquid. I couldn't smell anything as she was on the floor and I was bent over her. So it could be sour crop as you suggested. Solutions if it is?

The neck twisting is an attempt to clear a blockage in the crop which is uncomfortable to her. Make sure she only has water to drink, nothing to eat and gently massage her crop regularly (every hour) until the crop is completely empty. Sometimes they eat so much that not all of it passes through overnight. A solid lump remains that then starts to rot, so whilst the crop feels squishy there is probably a solid lump in there. There are other less likely reasons for obstructed digestion and a full crop, but you won't be able to do anything about them. Certainly the first stage is to do as I have suggested.

She isn't eating anyway and I don't think drinking. She is sat at the front of the coop quietly. I don't have anywhere I can keep her separately either. I can certainly do as suggested but am worried about aspiration from any liquid. At what point should I consider a vet?

I'd consider a vet now @Debbie1962, because they will be able to suck the contents of the crop out using a big syringe (we have one). Otherwise you would have to attempt the tricky procedure of emptying it yourself, which involves turning her upside down and backwards between your knees and squeezing the contents back out of her throat. The risk of suffocation is very high, because she can breath the material in. 

Is she pooing anything? We bring our sickies into dog cages in the bathroom (big room) so we can watch them regularly. Given the UK forecast, getting her inside will be a good idea.

I took her to the vets this morning. He confirmed sour crop. He massaged her crop and got quite a bit out and gave her some medication via a tube. She should hopefully be fine. I have managed to find something to keep her in so I can keep her indoors for a little while and keep an eye on her. Thanks both of you.

So today she still looked a by depressed and when I picked her up her crop was still quite full. As the vets are closed I decided to try to empty her crop more myself and I followed what I saw online. I got quite a lot out and immediately felt the crop go down significantly to nearly empty I would say. She seemed a little more alert and pottered around the garden in the sun for half an hour. She kind of shows interest in food but isn't really eating. When can I expect her appetite to return?

When her crop has fully emptied you could try cucumber pieces without the skin. Easily digestible. If she eats that try pellets soaked in water so they are a sloppy mash. Discard anything not eaten after an hour. It's not too important she eats at this stage but she must be drinking. We've just had this problem with our old house chicken and we eventually resolved it by feeding her mashed rearers pellets rolled into small balls and pushed into her beak. That's not an easy thing to do without injuring her. Grasp the top beak firmly and prise the bottom open gently and just pop one in (needs three hands). Never put any sideways pressure on the lower beak as it could dislocate or fracture.

I made some scrambled egg and she loved it. I haven't seen her drink today but I know she drank loads last night as she emptied the dish I had in with her. I am not too worried about her not eating too much I just want her to look a little perkier. Hopefully the egg will perk her up.

Just to update this thread sadly Daisy died. I took her inside to care for her better and whilst her appetite improved and she seemed more relaxed away from the others as she was being pecked she didn't put any weight on and became unsteady on her legs. The crop situation did seem to get better but obviously something wasn't right and I got up one morning to find she had passed. She was due another vet visit but hadn't really improved much on the medication anyway. I think the vet would have suggested euthanasia to be honest. RIP Daisy I tried my best for you. At least you were warm and cared for towards the end.

• Sad 2