Mrs Frugal

Driving Test Blues

My brother who is 3 years younger than me, had a truly spectacular collection of luminous socks and he wore fluorescent orange ones on his driving test. From then onwards, they became "lucky" socks until I broke the run of good fortune by failing my driving test whilst wearing them :roll::oops: !!

Hmmmmm....might have done if I hadn't crashed LSH's (then Long Suffering Boyfriend's) car into a lamp post while learning to drive. Kind of put me off a bit - well, put me off for 13 years actually :roll: !

So therefore, I think third time lucky pretty good in the circumstances :lol::lol::lol: !

I had a really bad instructor for ages who really upset me so I had to change after 8 months (I hadn't even done any reversing or turning at that point he was really bad) and the next instructor had to be very patient. She then left the company and I had another chap so there were some extenuating cicumstances in my defence :oops: I wish I had passed first time so stressful and demoralising not to mention embarrasing :oops::oops:

I know what you mean. I was rushed into my first driving test way too early because I was due to go into hospital imminently for a hip replacement ( :shock::shock: yes, honest - second one at that - first one at 17!! I am 39 and not 93, by the way :lol: !!) and my instructor wanted me to get the test over and done with so I didn't have to start lessons again after a long recouperation. Big failure on test, huge disappointment, loss of morale, embarrassment etc. Worse second time but elation on passing on the third attempt closely followed by the operation at last!

Extenuating circumstances stink, don't they!

I've only had one driving test, and I failed it :( That was over 20 years ago, and I haven't driven since.

I was living in London at the time - not the best place for driving. Maybe I should consider having lessons again now I live in a less busy area :)

Hi Karen, I couldn't live without my car I live in a fairly rural area there is a bus route a mile from the house but they are only once an hour. If I travelled to work on the bus it takes 1.5 hours and gets me here either at 7.45 :o or 10.00 there is nothing in the middle because of school routes :evil: I work with people who don't drive and I wonder how they manage but they seem to :lol: Its what works for you :wink:

Hi Karen,

Don't let it put you off forever - it's that little bit of freedom we all need. My brother-in-law failed his test and never tried again and it's such a shame.

My LSH began to drop hints that he was fed up chauffeuring me around so I made a pledge that I would learn to drive by the time I was 30. I just made it 3 months before my birthday! I'm a terribly nervous driver still as I don't drive anywhere near as much as I ought to but I'm fine so long as I stick to the routes I know and avoid motorways and dual carriageways like the plague and it's nice not having to rely on someone else to drive me anymore!!

I chose a very patient lady instructor who was wonderful. If you look around or ask around, there's bound to be someone terrific out there to help you. I refused to be put off after failing my first test. I had to pass because I really need the car so I booked test 2 straight away and the same after I failed that. I passed my 3rd test in the little Fiesta I bought myself. I think driving a familiar car and one which I could practise driving at weekends with LSH was the turning point and I've not looked back since.

Go for it, Karen! Now you're in a less busy area, it's a perfect time plus you've got to have more confidence in yourself now than 20 years ago!

Louise - the super moderating wand doesn't let me down, does it :wink: !

Not sure it was confidence that was the problem! Strange things happen when I get behind the wheel.

I'm a very even-tempered person and I rarely get annoyed about anything, but when I was in the car with my L-plates, and I had someone trying to intimidate me, I'd do stupid things like drive straight at them :shock:

Probably safer for all concerned if I stay off the roads :D

Well done Sarah :D

I think maybe I will have lessons again. I don't need a car for work, but it would mean I wouldn't have to depend on friends to take me to the garden centre. I can manage shopping ok, but it's not easy getting garden tools home in a shopping trolley :roll:

Karen - I don't drive either. I had 2 years of lessons (including a week long residential course in Herefordshire) and still managed to fail my test in spectacular fashion about 2 years ago. I haven't been behind the wheel of a car since. In consequence I do lots of walking and travelling by public transport which helps to keep me fit. I consider myself very environmentally friendly :)

I'd never thought about driving but my then husband had some lessons booked and then we found out he was epileptic. He was 18, I was 17 and we were married with a three month old baby. We couldn't afford to lose the lessons so I went and I've loved driving ever since. I really love driving. 8)

When each of my children reached 17 I wanted them to be able to drive but was divorced and had no money spare. The whole family gave home made vouchers for half or full lessons and they both passed at 18.

Don't let it put you off forever -

That is a good point....I had a gap between lessons. Taking it up again I really asked around for a personally recommended instructor & instead of having a weekly hour, had daily 2 hour lessons for 2 weeks (a crash course?) It suddenly clicked.

25 years later, its been so useful...

I could practise driving at weekends with LSH

Ummmm...Kate's LSH may be a rarity.....I'm really happy driving anywhere but can't stand having OH as passenger unless he's asleep/drunk (both really). He's banned (by me) from taking out learners since completely un- nerving 2 offspring. World's worst passenger?

Some people are late developers at it though, although daughter (v.determined) passed at 17, beating her 2 older brothers to it. (one has been a year filling in form...well, getting the photos even)

Not sure about lucky socks theory, but favourite clothes can help....was it another hotpants moment Lesley?

:lol:

!

Perhaps I should admit how it is that poor LSH has deep fear of learners....

When I was learning, in early 20's, OH took me out for extra practice in his Mum's automatic Daf.

Took me to an empty industrial estate one Sunday, to practise 3 point turn.

I did the forward bit, then carefully reversed for the 2nd point. Fine.

Then, went for final, forward manoeuvre...and found myself shooting backwards.....aaggh!

"Brake, Brake!!" yelled LSH...."I am!" I screeched, pressing my foot harder on the accellerator.

Behind us, looming ever closer, was Devil's Dyke, an ancient (Saxon?) trench....a sheer drop down about 30 metres or more.

The more I tried to stop, the faster we went backwards...........

LSH yanked on the handbrake & I stopped pressing my foot down...we stopped .....just in time before we wrote off the car & ourselves...

When he could breathe enough, LSH asked why I hadn't moved the gearstick into Drive before moving....

"But its an Automatic....its supposed to know what gear to be in!" :roll:

After that, I stuck to dual control lessons.

There can be exceptional circumstances that lead to the passing of a test. I took mine on the first of March (St David's Day) which was the first fine sunny day of the year and the examiner was Welsh. This was back in the '70's so my school skirt was exceedingly short - which must have helped as well :oops: